2021 RULES: Grades

Would you like to see our grading system changed next year?

No - Keep it the same (weekly update of Madden public grades).
42%
Yes - Monthly updates of custom grades based upon a mix of various resources.
52%
Yes - Something else (provide your feedback).
6%

Total votes: 65

Danny - BRFL Packers

Re: 2021 RULES: Grades

Post by Danny - BRFL Packers »

I really like the idea of of a composite FanGM score. I am wary of using any grades other than Madden and PFF - PFF is great and i think, this would give us a good mix of brand name recognition of players (Madden) and more live up to date and accurate playing level (PFF).

I have the expensive subscription to PFF and i'm a grade geek there. I was updating my own excel sheet with game by game grades for each of my players. I even did a little experiment through the year where i watched particular games and picked out 5-6 players that i thought played well overall and 5-6 that i thought were clearly shitty. PFF's grades were really close when it came to my top and bottom 5-6. Point is, the grading just felt right to me.

i like robroach's idea using madden grade as a baseline and using PFF to adjust the the baseline Madden grade. Once a month feels like along time, but once every two weeks seems short.

I say we open the year with players being on their original madden grade and then update every 3 weeks with composite - that would give us about 6 grade updates through the year.

Thoughts
Danny - BRFL Packers

2020 BRFL NFC Champions
21, 22, 23 BRFL NFC North Champ
lucky7jc

Post by lucky7jc »

I also like the mixing of grades, but not sure a month is the number. I would think a bi-weekly result is more applicable to what we need. Obviously we all go into week 1 with everything up to date anyway, and outside of injury status nothing changes in the NFL for a few weeks.

Any organization updating an overall grade after one week, is a bit intrusive IMO. Everyone is allowed to have a shitty day at work, there's just so happens to be on a national stage, where they do their entire work load in one day. It's one thing if PFF or Madden or whoever were there to watch practice drills and say oh this guy is really progressing / regressing, and it's showing in the games we should change the score to X.

So ultimately I don't think that much dramatically changes and makes the work here much easier if we update every 2 weeks. That would be on weeks 3/5/7/9/11/13/15 and 17 which takes you into the playoffs. At that point their not updating grades much anyway, and you're taking real life updates.
AFFL Champion - 2019
AFC Champion - 2019
soonertf

Post by soonertf »

I can set all the grades based on my bias opinion, if that makes things easier for everyone :)
AFFL - Dallas Cowboy's GM
Regular Season Record - 109-72
Playoff Record - 12-4
AFFL Bowl Record - 3-0

3x AFFL Champions - 2009, 2011, 2018
3x NFC Champions - 2009, 2011, 2018
6x NFC East Champions - 2007, 2009-13
JonC

Post by JonC »

I'm still stuck on the process of weighting grades. No matter what ideas we throw out, I'm not in favor if it's a great deal more work for Troy. I would absolutely love to make things better, but I don't want to make them harder for the person running it...that's a recipe for disaster.

Here's what PFF says about their grading system:
"The Player Grading Scale:
100-90 Elite
89-85 Pro Bowler
84-70 Starter
69-60 Backup
59-0 Replaceable"

Based on that alone, there are going to be some interesting discrepancies from Madden.

Here's a reddit thread from last year on these differences as well: https://www.reddit.com/r/Madden/comment ... ed_roster/

There's a pretty cool set of google sheets involved as well.

More than anything, I am interested in the consistent application of knowledge about a player. If we can pull the publicly available PFF information more easily than Madden, I'd likely vote to jettison Madden grades before coming up with a way to combine them.
DFFL Steelers GM: '13-'22
Regular Season Record: 77-85 (.475)
Division Championships: ’13, ’14, ’19
AFC WC Team: ’20

AFFL Bills GM: '20-?
Regular Season Record: 20-30 (.400)

BRFL Chargers GM: '21-?
Regular Season Record: 17-17 (.500)
AFC WC Team: '22
larry linke

Post by larry linke »

Just went over PFF grades. They have the following with grades of 80 or above:

17 tackles, 7 guards, 4 centers, 14 interior defenders, 11 edge defenders, 3 linebackers, 6 cornerbacks and 6 safeties.

I don't know how that matches up with the Madden grades

Larry
jerrydlux

Post by jerrydlux »

larry linke wrote:Just went over PFF grades. They have the following with grades of 80 or above:

17 tackles, 7 guards, 4 centers, 14 interior defenders, 11 edge defenders, 3 linebackers, 6 cornerbacks and 6 safeties.

Larry

DJ Humphries 88.3 on PFF and 77 on Madden...ill take PFF :D
larry linke

Post by larry linke »

larry linke wrote:Just went over PFF grades. They have the following with grades of 80 or above:

Madden grades are a lot higher.

There are 61 OL 80 or higher
97 front 7
85 DB's

Larry
bpboguta1483

Post by bpboguta1483 »

I like the mixing of the two, so Davante Adams is a 99 OVR in Madden, PFF has him at 92.0, time permitting would like to take all the 90+ OVR and see what that translates to. We know Aaron Donald is a 99 OVR, his PFF is a 94.2. Do we combine and get the average OVR or keep whichever is higher? But then some are extreme variances, Krys Barnes is a 74 OVR, PFF must think he is a scrub with his 43.0. I've read good things about Barnes to where I feel his 74 is legit. Bi weekly would seem to be better not so much because of the star player but more for the rookies and UDFA players whose grade I would think could vary somewhat from one week to the next.
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

CONCLUSION: It wasn't overwhelming, but the majority voted that they'd like to see some changes to grading ahead.

With all of the other issues, we won't be changing our grading system quite yet. For free agency and LTC and other decisions that may be impacted by grades, know that the grades in the system now reflect where Madden grades were at the end of the season. In a couple months when new grades come out, there may be big changes for some players as there are every year. So, as always, decisions based upon early off-season grades must consider that big grade updates will be coming before the season and grades will continue changing throughout the season and a player's career.

This season there may be bigger grade updates as discussed in this thread. My inclination is to keep things based upon Madden as a grade floor, so you know their grade will be at least that, but work out a boost for players graded higher by PFF. As we wade into this new ground, it may be a limited boost initially this first season until we get more experience with things to adjust in future seasons.

So keep that in mind with any early off-season decisions. Grades now are last season's grades and do change. Madden releases new grades prior to the regular season (as well as updating many of them weekly), and we'll also have some new grade factors this season likely from PFF consideration giving some players a little extra boost.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
brhlbryce

Post by brhlbryce »

Does anyone have a good way, or know of a good way, to export the data from PFF?