Site Changes

Do you like the site's new look?

Yes!
86%
No (that's okay it's still a work-in-progress)
2%
Unsure
12%

Total votes: 50

Goodell

Site Changes

Post by Goodell »

Technical problems forced our hand, but if we had to upgrade our forum and some other things anyway... might as well take advantage of that, right?

The new forum upgrades came with modern responsive functionality for mobile viewing. If I used our old template from before cell phones nearly, it would have wrecked that. So I put up a quick, basic header just to start to get a functional menu going to get the site back up.

I expect things will evolve with the look and hopefully additional functionality as I get time this off-season, but I wanted to get some quick feedback on if the basic upgrade is something people were liking or not. Also tweaked the team roster menu a bit and have some other updates on that coming.

Right now I'm prioritizing basic functionality and getting all the pages needed for a season updated. Some little details we had before may not be there right now, but hopefully will be added back as time allows later in the off-season.

Also feel free to send a PM or reply here for additional thoughts as we update and upgrade the site this off-season.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
lucky7jc

Re: Site Changes

Post by lucky7jc »

Everything looks fine, just glad the website is back up and going... was seriously thinking we had been lost into the abyss :lol: :lol:
AFFL Champion - 2019
AFC Champion - 2019
JonC

Post by JonC »

The mobile changes are the big ones. You have to go landscape on your phone now to navigate easily. It's not a big deal, but it was weird not being able to find rosters, etc. on my phone the first time I logged in holding my phone in portrait mode.

The team pages are MUCH cleaner and I really like them.

The biggest plus for me is that load times even seem improved in the league pages (free agency in particular).

Looking forward to getting going, and very much appreciate the time and energy this kind of update takes!

One question: I think on the old setup, there was a "My Team" link on any page in a league...if I was looking at a competing team's roster, it was one click to go back to my roster, which was fantastic. I don't see that in the current setup. Is that in the plans?
DFFL Steelers GM: '13-'22
Regular Season Record: 77-85 (.475)
Division Championships: ’13, ’14, ’19
AFC WC Team: ’20

AFFL Bills GM: '20-?
Regular Season Record: 20-30 (.400)

BRFL Chargers GM: '21-?
Regular Season Record: 17-17 (.500)
AFC WC Team: '22
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

JonC wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:59 am The biggest plus for me is that load times even seem improved in the league pages (free agency in particular).
That's good. I moved things from a cheap shared hosting account we'd been using for years to a new private upgraded server with just a couple of my own projects on it, so hopefully performance will be improved even for the busiest times and the most resource-intensive activities.
tino38

Post by tino38 »

Goodell wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:25 pm
JonC wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:59 am The biggest plus for me is that load times even seem improved in the league pages (free agency in particular).
That's good. I moved things from a cheap shared hosting account we'd been using for years to a new private upgraded server with just a couple of my own projects on it, so hopefully performance will be improved even for the busiest times and the most resource-intensive activities.
Was it a costly endeavor? I think we all enjoy this site enough to chip in, especially those of us with multiple teams.
BRFL Saints (31-20) (3-0)
- NFCS Champ: 23’
- NFC Champ: 23’
- SB Champ 23’
AFFL Patriots (97-82) (8-4)
-AFCE Champ: 16', 22’, 23’
-AFC Champ: 22’
-SB Champ: 22’
DFFL Jets - SB Champ 21’ & 22’
FFFL Jets - SB Champ 17’ & 18’
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

tino38 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:00 pm Was it a costly endeavor? I think we all enjoy this site enough to chip in, especially those of us with multiple teams.
Not really yet. I'd paid a couple years in advance for a private server for some business projects (I think one year left before new bills on that start). I was thinking of moving things to that server then, but realized the troubles that would cause moving old stuff to new environments that would break some of it so held off with the old server and old site so long as it kept running.

I did hire an expert on this forum software to help me figure out why the user logins here tied to our football page roster management tools also were no longer working with the server/software upgrades. I'd banged my head over that for a couple weekends trying to get them re-connected, but he saw what was off in the settings in fairly short order so wasn't too costly. Just charged me $90, so something I was glad to pay for a return of my sanity and an avenue to getting things back working again.

I did setup a donation page long ago that people can use. Appreciate it, but it's not urgently necessary at this time. Thanks.

https://www.fangm.com/donate.php
Adam K

Post by Adam K »

JonC wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:59 am The mobile changes are the big ones. You have to go landscape on your phone now to navigate easily. It's not a big deal, but it was weird not being able to find rosters, etc. on my phone the first time I logged in holding my phone in portrait mode.

The team pages are MUCH cleaner and I really like them.

The biggest plus for me is that load times even seem improved in the league pages (free agency in particular).

Looking forward to getting going, and very much appreciate the time and energy this kind of update takes!

One question: I think on the old setup, there was a "My Team" link on any page in a league...if I was looking at a competing team's roster, it was one click to go back to my roster, which was fantastic. I don't see that in the current setup. Is that in the plans?
I have trying to find my rosters, etc. for about 30 minutes. Still don’t see, whether I hold the phone vertically or horizontally. Could you provide a screen shot? I have only used my phone on this. Well, maybe not all the time in the early days as I was still rocking a flip phone.
JonC

Post by JonC »

The files are too big to attach here, but if you are getting to the forums on your phone, just rotate the phone horizontal and go to the top of the page. I will say I'm using Chrome on an iPhone...not sure if it's the same on all mobile devices.
DFFL Steelers GM: '13-'22
Regular Season Record: 77-85 (.475)
Division Championships: ’13, ’14, ’19
AFC WC Team: ’20

AFFL Bills GM: '20-?
Regular Season Record: 20-30 (.400)

BRFL Chargers GM: '21-?
Regular Season Record: 17-17 (.500)
AFC WC Team: '22
Adam K

Post by Adam K »

JonC wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:20 am The files are too big to attach here, but if you are getting to the forums on your phone, just rotate the phone horizontal and go to the top of the page. I will say I'm using Chrome on an iPhone...not sure if it's the same on all mobile devices.
Got it. That doesn’t seem to be there on my browser but if I go back to homepage while signed in by opening a new window I can get there. But it is tricky to navigate on your phone (especially with Safari). Other than that the new site is great.
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

There's still more work to be done getting the header/menu responsive or just having the homepage have buttons for mobile for those quick links. Just did a quick header for now, enhancements to come.