2022 RULES: LTC / 5th Year Option

Do you think we should adjust the 5th Year Options and LTC for retaining players?

Leave as is, plenty of cash with cap increase and good logic for existing 5th year and LTC options.
16%
Adjust LTC across the board for minimum raise (10% instead of 20% now).
18%
Lower 5th year option values so easier to LTC with raise required later.
2%
Allow teams picking up 5th year options to immediately extend those like a LTC for multiple years.
64%

Total votes: 56

Goodell

Re: 2022 RULES: LTC / 5th Year Option

Post by Goodell »

CONCLUSION: A majority wanted to see 5th year options be able to be immediately extended if a team wanted. That has been implemented. Because the player is under contract for this season and their option year is next season, the extension doesn't start until next season and only 2-4 year options available (matching the length of a maximum LTC for 5 years into the future). Note that the signing bonus would start now, though, as player gets signing bonus money when contract signed and also adds on the remaining signing bonus from their original deal. These extensions do not count against your 2 LTCs per season.

Overall for LTCs, I've cut the previous 20% raise requirement to 10%. The average calculation remains the same, but fair warning that we'll likely look to switch to overall cap value on the averages next season if doable.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
JonC

Post by JonC »

Love it, thanks commish!
DFFL Steelers GM: '13-'22
Regular Season Record: 77-85 (.475)
Division Championships: ’13, ’14, ’19
AFC WC Team: ’20

AFFL Bills GM: '20-?
Regular Season Record: 20-30 (.400)

BRFL Chargers GM: '21-?
Regular Season Record: 17-17 (.500)
AFC WC Team: '22
kevinl

Post by kevinl »

I tried to extend my players on 5th year option as an LTC. I have read that it doesn't count towards LTC but it wouldn't let me because I was out of LTCs. Am I reading this wrong?
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

kevinl wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:58 am I tried to extend my players on 5th year option as an LTC. I have read that it doesn't count towards LTC but it wouldn't let me because I was out of LTCs. Am I reading this wrong?
You can send me a PM on player/team specific details to resolve. Generally speaking, this extension from picking up a 5th year option is found at the bottom of the team roster page next to the pull-down to pick up the 5th year option. That link goes to a slightly modified version of the LTC page that gives slightly different options and doesn't change the database LTC totals. Currently can't go to the main LTC page to pick up 5th year options and extend. Have to use the link specifically for that in that 5th year option pickup area. Don't know if that's part of it or not, but let me know the specific player(s)/team in PM and we'll resolve. Thanks!
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Goodell wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:50 am CONCLUSION: ....Overall for LTCs, I've cut the previous 20% raise requirement to 10%. The average calculation remains the same, but fair warning that we'll likely look to switch to overall cap value on the averages next season if doable.
Just a reminder that we posted previously about intentions in adjusting the LTC calculations more in the future and that we'll be looking at incorporating cap value more ahead on averages/raises/etc. possibly when the topic comes up for off-season rules discussions for the next season.