2022 Draft Format/Date

What sounds best to you for an extended draft?

Start Saturday May 14, then 1 round per day to Friday 5/20 and start undrafted free agency after on that following weekend.
80%
Start Saturday May 14 and finish last rounds on the next weekend with two days for 1st and 2nd rounds (1 day for other rounds).
6%
Start Saturday May 14 and take a break Wed/Thurs before finishing up last rounds on the following weekend.
4%
Start Saturday June 4th
8%
Start Saturday June 11th
No votes
Start Saturday June 18th
2%

Total votes: 50

Goodell

2022 Draft Format/Date

Post by Goodell »

In this previous poll, the majority of GMs were in favor of a Saturday draft start and changing the format this year to extend the draft to a give more time between picks and follow more of a round per day schedule. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1869

We've got a couple options with that, as this is new territory we haven't done before so getting some initial feedback before we set dates.

We could go straight 1 round per day for 7 days starting Saturday of one week and ending with the next business week on Friday. (1-Sat, 2-Sun, 3-Mon, 4-Tues, 5-Wed, 6-Thur, 7-Fri), and then have undrafted free agency start on weekend after.

Or we could work the schedule to aim to get more of the draft on weekend dates, either taking a mid-week break (Wed/Thurs no picks due but could be made if teams on clock wanted) or extending the first and second rounds over multiple days to end on the following weekend (1-Sat/Sun, 2-Mon/Tues, 3-Wed, 4-Thur, 5-Fri, 6-Sat, 7-Sun). Or maybe other ideas. If people like the extended draft time, perhaps we'll explore new scheduling options in the future.

For actual dates on the calendar, we asked for scheduling conflicts when checking in for the new season and a couple of them are May 24-26, late April to May 10, and Memorial Day weekend at the end of May. We also want to give ourselves a couple weeks of free agency before the draft as some free agency signings impact draft pick compensation for tagged or restricted players. Of course it's always impossible to get dates that work for everybody, but hopefully with this poll we'll find the most popular dates that work for the most people. Teams can always pre-load their draft queue with player rankings, check in remotely on cell phones, or move their draft picks as desired, etc.

We can probably give 1st and 2nd round days a bit more time between picks, as they don't have any compensatory picks lengthening the rounds. As usual, once the round ends, teams at the top of the next round don't have to pick until their fixed draft window the next day but can select whenever ready so some picks in the next round may happen the night before.

May 14th is the only time in May I think works well to start a week-long draft. Enough time after free agency starts (4/23) and enough time to finish up and have UDFAs before Memorial Day weekend plans. A week later runs UDFAs over Memorial Day weekend (unless we delayed those until after that). So it may be then or waiting until June, but then it's more summer activity and school out and perhaps more conflicts.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
sportznut

Re: 2022 Draft Format/Date

Post by sportznut »

I love to draft, but I'm super busy right now, and have things scheduled for virtually every weekend in May. I'm going on a short vacation in June. That being said, I'm just one person, and I'll find a way to try my best to be around for picks, or will just have to do the dreaded auto draft.
AFFL- Raiders
MLBSA- Tigers
WLSB- Marlins
JonC

Post by JonC »

Given how busy weekends seem to be for some, I think the idea of taking two days to do round one makes a lot of sense and then one round a day after that. We could do rounds 6 and 7 on that Friday as well in order to not go into another weekend if it made sense. I also am a creature of habit and could live with one day per round w/ no adjustments.

TY for the updates!
DFFL Steelers GM: '13-'22
Regular Season Record: 77-85 (.475)
Division Championships: ’13, ’14, ’19
AFC WC Team: ’20

AFFL Bills GM: '20-?
Regular Season Record: 20-30 (.400)

BRFL Chargers GM: '21-?
Regular Season Record: 17-17 (.500)
AFC WC Team: '22
soonertf

Post by soonertf »

sportznut wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:10 am I love to draft, but I'm super busy right now, and have things scheduled for virtually every weekend in May. I'm going on a short vacation in June. That being said, I'm just one person, and I'll find a way to try my best to be around for picks, or will just have to do the dreaded auto draft.
I hate starting FA or drafts on weekends as I'm always busy as well, but that seems to always be the preference for the majority. So we will just have to live with it. Luckily it can all be done on phones as well, but doubt I will be involved in much trade talks during the draft on weekends. Can't please everyone I guess!!
AFFL - Dallas Cowboy's GM
Regular Season Record - 109-72
Playoff Record - 12-4
AFFL Bowl Record - 3-0

3x AFFL Champions - 2009, 2011, 2018
3x NFC Champions - 2009, 2011, 2018
6x NFC East Champions - 2007, 2009-13
sportznut

Post by sportznut »

soonertf wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:57 am
sportznut wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:10 am I love to draft, but I'm super busy right now, and have things scheduled for virtually every weekend in May. I'm going on a short vacation in June. That being said, I'm just one person, and I'll find a way to try my best to be around for picks, or will just have to do the dreaded auto draft.
I hate starting FA or drafts on weekends as I'm always busy as well, but that seems to always be the preference for the majority. So we will just have to live with it. Luckily it can all be done on phones as well, but doubt I will be involved in much trade talks during the draft on weekends. Can't please everyone I guess!!
I'm one of those guys that loves the idea of doing the 1st and 2nd round over the weekend, but right now I'm swamped with work so I don't think ANY time is ideal for myself. It just so happens May 14 is the first day of me starting to completely re-wire a house in my "free time." So, that likely means that Saturday, Sunday, and the following weekend, I"ll be hanging around in an attic part of the time. Not sure how the wifi is up there.
AFFL- Raiders
MLBSA- Tigers
WLSB- Marlins
Ben C.

Post by Ben C. »

I'm willing to do this whenever, but May 14 I'm taking my son on his first "camping" trip. We'll be staying in my cousin's backyard so it isn't a huge deal but I'd rather be drafting from my PC than my phone if possible.

I also think it would be fine to have more time between Free Agency and the draft. We always get so excited to get things started, then have a huge lull in the summer as we wait for training camps. We might as well slow down a little bit.

So I'm voting for a June 4 date.
AFFL Arizona - General Manager
Regular Season Record - 174-66-1
Playoff Record - 13-12
AFFL Bowl Record - 0-2

2x NFC Champions - 2010, 2016
11x NFC West Champions - 2007-12, 2014-15, 2017-18, 2021
AFFL History
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

CONCLUSION: Looks like this option won with nearly 80% support:
Start Saturday May 14, then 1 round per day to Friday 5/20 and start undrafted free agency after on that following weekend.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office