Simple 53 man roster with 16 man practice squad
18%
55 man roster with top 53 counting against the cap and 14 man practice squad
82%

Total votes: 38

Goodell

2022 RULES: 53 or 55

Post by Goodell »

While the NFL implemented some COVID roster rules in recent seasons, we tried to reflect that here also. Some of those things have changed this season and some have remained. As I gear up to change the rosters into full regular season mode this week, I was diving deeper into the NFL rules involving practice squads this season.

https://en.as.com/nfl/what-are-the-new- ... -season-n/
Roster size and practice squad rules
After the pandemic began, the rules to the roster size and practice squad changed, but some of those rules remain even now. When the final cuts are made and the regular season roster is at 53, the NFL teams will be allowed to have 16 players on the practice squad (up from 10 before), and as of 2022, that is now a permanent change. If a team chooses, they may activate two players from the practice squad on gameday and deactivate seven players for a roster of 48 players, at least 90 minutes before gametime. In this way, players cab play one game and then go back to the practice squad the next day without having to go through the process of waivers or the risk of another team claiming them. Another change from last year is that players can now be elevated from the practice squad three times in one season (as opposed to just twice last year) before they must be signed to the 53-man roster.
Only 53 are going to count against the salary cap this year no matter what, so doesn't make a huge difference at the end of the roster, but it's a question of if we continue with the COVID changes in recent seasons to allow two extra players on our active rosters to simulate the NFL allowing limited psquad players to be activated on gameday or if we revert back to pre-COVID and more simple and straight forward 53 man roster and full practice squad.

Before I flipped the switch on regular season roster mode, wanted to get a feel if any strong feelings either way on this.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
JonC

Re: 2022 RULES: 53 or 55

Post by JonC »

Do we have the ability to immediate promote from our own practice squad of yet? This will impact my vote.
DFFL Steelers GM: '13-'22
Regular Season Record: 77-85 (.475)
Division Championships: ’13, ’14, ’19
AFC WC Team: ’20

AFFL Bills GM: '20-?
Regular Season Record: 20-30 (.400)

BRFL Chargers GM: '21-?
Regular Season Record: 17-17 (.500)
AFC WC Team: '22
bpboguta1483

Post by bpboguta1483 »

I don't think deactivating 7 players on game days comes into play too much in our leagues but moving two up would be a feature to implement if not this year then in future years. And I admittedly had planned for 55 this year so I may have to do a little roster reorganizing, maybe revert to 53 man rosters with 51 against the cap in 2023 and beyond. Just my two cents worth.
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Early sentiment seems to be sticking with how things have been in COVID rules (and some of those rules continuing in NFL ahead) and here in recent seasons with the extra 2 spots on the active roster, so likely to go ahead as we have been with the two extra (55) on active roster and 14 man practice squads. Will be making updates to increasingly get the rosters into regular season mode this week. Now that some injury lists working, I've created a section on the team rosters for inactive players to be grouped together so that their salaries are easier to group together and make sure they are separate from the top 53 active salaries counting with only two not counting once everyone's down to 55 active limit on 9/8.
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

JonC wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:49 pm Do we have the ability to immediate promote from our own practice squad of yet? This will impact my vote.
That's been talked about and I believe I mentioned I'd look into that this season. It'll be on my list to see if easy enough to do before the regular season starts. It would be something like if you have an open roster spot able to sign your own psquad player to a 1-year minimum rookie deal to be an active roster participant you would then be able to insert into depth charts before a game (if they have no other bids on them in free agency).