2023 RULES: Bids

Goodell

Re: 2023 RULES: Bids

Post by Goodell »

Tweaked some things a little.

- Grade A elite QB minimum of 100% franchise tag value (plus contracts with SB result in extra SB/YR to annual cap value).
- Grade B or higher graded QBs minimum 75% franchise tag value.
- Any B+ or higher grade players at any position has to have at least 75% of franchise tag value.
- Any elite highest A grade players have to have at least 85% of franchise tag value.
- The minimum for any QB getting a long-term investment and forgoing any future QB bidding prices on the market is 50% of franchise tag value.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
Knighty Knight

Post by Knighty Knight »

Troy, did we ever address the issue where picking up 5th year options were negatively impacting LTC values due to the high annual salary?

I've been declining 5th year options ever since we implemented because it made it even more expensive to LTC after exercising compared to declining the 5th year and LTCing the player after their 4th year.
Brian Orr
AFFL New York Giants (48-51)(2-2) 2022, 2023 NFC East Champions
BRFL Washington Commanders (10-7)(0-1)
DFFL Miami Dolphins(103-76)(3-5) 2018 AFC East Champions
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Knighty Knight wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:02 pm Troy, did we ever address the issue where picking up 5th year options were negatively impacting LTC values due to the high annual salary?

I've been declining 5th year options ever since we implemented because it made it even more expensive to LTC after exercising compared to declining the 5th year and LTCing the player after their 4th year.
In a way, and can address it further ahead as needed, but I think last year or the year before we added a way of extending a player long-term based upon their 5th year option price so that they didn't have to do a later LTC that would be higher. That's next to the pull-down pick up the option or not it says "Check Longer Extension" to pickup that option and extend the deal now at that price instead of more later.
bpboguta1483

Post by bpboguta1483 »

Troy, is there a way where some of these signings, say for example a salary of $2.0 Million and a signing bonus of $25.0 million can be eliminated or at least tempered? The players that have an OVR in the 70's isn't a concern but players high 80's and up possible the salary has to be a certain amount so it's not so skewered one way? It also has an impact on future LTC's as well.
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

bpboguta1483 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:48 pm Troy, is there a way where some of these signings, say for example a salary of $2.0 Million and a signing bonus of $25.0 million can be eliminated or at least tempered? The players that have an OVR in the 70's isn't a concern but players high 80's and up possible the salary has to be a certain amount so it's not so skewered one way? It also has an impact on future LTC's as well.
The free agency bid score (link in first post above) was adjusted and a test link given for people to try out different kinds of counter-bids they don't like and give their feedback. https://fangm.com/football/freeagency-bidscore.php

The adjustments made make multiple year deals more valuable than they used to be and harder to counter with short-term high signing bonus small salary deals. I think there has to be some balance there because high signing bonus deals are guaranteed money and that's always attractive to players over unguaranteed money with yearly salary, but so are higher overall values and we moved the bid scores for counters a bit more toward overall total value with multi-year deals having more worth than before compared to 1-year guarantees. Hopefully those are good adjustments and we'll keep adjusting ahead as issues arise.

On LTCs, it's built so the most extreme comparisons are automatically thrown out. It'll take the top 10 peer values but throw out the highest and lowest extremes when giving an average so that extreme cases have less impact on LTC values.
bpboguta1483

Post by bpboguta1483 »

I used it and it is better but it can still be circumvented, believe me I do appreciate the effort being done to improve the situation.