2023 RULES: Trades covering portion of salary

Should teams be allowed to cover part of a player's salary in a trade?

No - Keep it as it's been here with no cash involved in trades.
49%
Yes - Allow a team to cover some of the player's salary in a trade, as we've seen more in reality.
32%
Yes - But limit the amount of salary a team can cover.
19%

Total votes: 53

sportznut

Re: 2023 RULES: Trades covering portion of salary

Post by sportznut »

bpboguta1483 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:48 pm I voted yes on this but I also agree there should be limits, and also it should be about individual players and not teams, let's say team A has only $30 million in cap space and team B has $150 million, even if there's a percentage of say a 25% cap, team A has $7.5 million it can allocate versus team B which would have $37.5 million, does the team that has $150 million need the savings? Nut, I think you mentioned 25-50% range which seems pretty accurate to me as well, just my two cents worth.
I'm not talking about cap space, which varies from team to team, or year to year.

I'm talking about two approaches to this:

One, you simply allow coverage per player on a percentage basis. If its 25%, then you could never cover over 25% on any individual player.

Two, you allow coverage based on your ENTIRE cap, which is the exact same for every team in any given year. Not borrow money, or dead cap space, but your overall cap. Let's say in that example, you're allowed to spend 10% of your cap on salary coverage. You'd have the ability to split that 10% up anyway you desire, but once its used up, you can't cover salary for anyone else.
AFFL- Raiders
MLBSA- Tigers
WLSB- Marlins
bpboguta1483

Re: 2023 RULES: Trades covering portion of salary

Post by bpboguta1483 »

I think the per player basis makes more sense and realistic