2024 Rules: GM of the Year

Do you like the idea of a GM of the Year award with points system as a secondary part of the game?

No
2%
Yes, but only as a fun award for bragging rights.
79%
Yes, and top 5 GMs get additional compensatory picks as prizes to encourage positive activity.
13%
Yes, but top 5 GMs don't get compensatory picks just maybe a gift card from commish (or community contributions).
6%

Total votes: 62

Goodell

2024 Rules: GM of the Year

Post by Goodell »

A couple seasons ago I think I brought up an idea of another kind of GM competition beyond wins/losses that was all about who was doing the best job of building their team up. We'd obviously still have football games to keep score on the field, but this would be a point system off the field with rankings toward honoring a GM of the Year.

It was just a vague concept, but points could possibly be based on things like:
- Grade differences for players on roster from start to end of season (rewarding teams that added improving players).
- Deductions for days over salary cap or roster limits.
- Deductions for not maximizing full roster and practice squad limits.
- Deductions for not replacing injured players or having cap space to replace injured players on active roster during season.
- Deduction for inactivity.
- If we added some feedback mechanisms for trades, that could factor into rewarding GMs with points that had what most deem as fair trades and deduct points from GMs making bad trades or even exploiting others as it's an award point system.

Obviously details to be worked out there and work to build something up to be an automated score keeper throughout the season on a different kind of GM rating scoreboard, but mostly seeing about interest there.

If so, also contribute your own thoughts for additional ways to track GM performance beyond the sim game scoreboard.

Now that the NFL is awarding compensatory picks for areas beyond free agency losses (ex. teams that lose a minority executive or coach to a promotion with another team receive compensatory picks), maybe we incorporate that in a different way here by awarding some of our GMs with additional compensatory picks. An example might be winner of the GM of the Year points battle gets a 3rd round compensatory pick, 2nd place a 4th rounder, 3rd place a 5th rounder, 4th place a 6th rounder and 5th place a 7th rounder. So the top 5 point scorers across each league in the GM of the Year subgame get a compensatory pick and we just add those to the regular free agency compensatory picks like the NFL does now for executive/coach losses.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
larry linke

Re: 2024 Rules: GM of the Year

Post by larry linke »

I voted for bragging rights. If he / she is good they shouldn't need comp picks.

Larry
Minnesota AFFL / Tampa Bay BRFL / Jets FFFL
JonC

Post by JonC »

larry linke wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:10 pm I voted for bragging rights. If he / she is good they shouldn't need comp picks.

Larry
Minnesota AFFL / Tampa Bay BRFL / Jets FFFL
This
DFFL Steelers GM: '13-'22
Regular Season Record: 77-85 (.475)
Division Championships: ’13, ’14, ’19
AFC WC Team: ’20

AFFL Bills GM: '20-?
Regular Season Record: 20-30 (.400)

BRFL Chargers GM: '21-?
Regular Season Record: 17-17 (.500)
AFC WC Team: '22
tino38

Post by tino38 »

I also agree with this!
BRFL Saints (31-20) (3-0)
- NFCS Champ: 23’
- NFC Champ: 23’
- SB Champ 23’
AFFL Patriots (97-82) (8-4)
-AFCE Champ: 16', 22’, 23’
-AFC Champ: 22’
-SB Champ: 22’
DFFL Jets - SB Champ 21’ & 22’
FFFL Jets - SB Champ 17’ & 18’
sportznut

Post by sportznut »

Not into giving away comp picks for fake rewards that COULD just be a popularity contest, or perhaps a contest that only receives 25% of the leagues' entire votes (b/c that's all who voted). And before anyone says it, yes I know its fake rewards for fake leagues, but this is more subjective than assembling a team, and going one on one. Its much more opinion based.
AFFL- Raiders
MLBSA- Tigers
WLSB- Marlins
bpboguta1483

Post by bpboguta1483 »

Bragging rights only