09 Rules: Salary Cap Hit Splits

Should salary cap hit splits be adjusted to better match reality?

Keep it real with June 1st date and 2 exemptions for cap splits before that, and adding the realistic cap split instead of 50/50.
43%
Keep it somewhat real but still keep 50/50 split option permanently.
36%
Keep it somewhat real but only have 50/50 option for this off-season transition.
No votes
Best for the trade-friendly sim league if no June 1st complication and keep 50/50 option always even if not exactly real salary cap rules.
21%

Total votes: 14

Goodell

09 Rules: Salary Cap Hit Splits

Post by Goodell »

The salary cap rules can be quite confusing and sometimes changing from year to year (or else different explanations and examples written up). For the new members, if you cut or trade a player you generate a "cap hit" based upon their guaranteed Signing Bonus left (SB Left on your roster page). Annual salaries are not guaranteed but signing bonuses are and must be accounted for -- either prorated annually while the player on your team against the cap or accelerated as a cap hit when removed from the team.

I think our initial rules for the option of "splitting" of cap hits after June 1st at 50/50 may be incorrect. I don't recall at the moment if I had found examples when first making up that rule 2 years ago that had 50/50 then or just assumed that when reading "split over two years" or decided it would be best to be at 50/50 for a trade-friendly league.

The way it seems to work in more recent articles about salary cap issues for splits (post June 1st) is taking only the annual prorated amount the first year and then the remaining balance otherwise in year 2. For trades of big contract players, that would really make them untradable even with a cap hit split because it puts a huge hit in year 2.

So I am thinking about giving teams 3 options this year and possibly phasing out the 50/50 if it isn't real and we decide we want to keep things more real.

- Full Cap Hit
- Keep 50/50 split that we've had
- Also allow option of more "realistic" unbalanced split where a small amount in year 1 but the remainder to dead money in year 2.

Under most realistic interpretation, all pre-June 1st cuts and trades would be at 100% cap hit with teams allowed 2 exemptions (as I believe they have in reality to let a veteran go before June 1st to hook up with a new team sooner but treat him as if a June 1st cut). Those two exemptions could have their cap hit split. Any cuts/trades after June 1st have the option of hit splits with no limit.

I'd like to side usually toward keeping things real and trying to put our fans in the real GM jobs as much as possible, but even if went to a more realistic split setup would keep the 50/50 for at least part of this year in transition.

It may also be decided (as some have said before) to keep it simpler without a June 1st consideration and allowing 50/50 split options all year.

We had some discussion on this topic generally last year but want to get more feedback before making the trading and cutting functionality live.

One reason to not have the realistic split might be teams taking a small hit in year 1 after trading a big contract player and then bailing on the team in year 2 when it creates cap issues.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
Goodell

Re: 09 Rules: Salary Cap Hit Splits

Post by Goodell »

With a possible uncapped season, I also have read that real teams cannot do cap hit splits this year, but we will allow splits this year and figure out uncapped seasons (if they come) when its time to cross that bridge -- but would probably have some kind of artificial cap in some way anyway because real teams do not have unlimited money sources but sim money could be and doesn't come out of a real pocketbook.
As you know, 2010 is the final year of the current labor agreement, and unless a new labor contract comes into play before the start of the 2010 league year (typically late February/early March), 2010 is going to be an uncapped year. That is having an effect on the cap starting this year. so some rules that we might have known in the past have changed.

CHANGES TO THE 2009 SALARY CAP RULES
Change #1: Starting in 2009, there is no June 1 rule for signing bonus acceleration. Regardless of when a player is cut or traded, his remaining prorated signing bonus counts against the 2009 salary cap

http://trainathought.insidefootball.com ... y-cap.html
sportznut

Post by sportznut »

I'd keep the 50/50 cap splits after June 1st, and add two exemptions for players designated to be June 1st cap hits. We should also continue with the option to take on the full cap hit as opposed to automatically splitting it after June 1st. If I have a crappy team, and want to take on the full hit, I should be able to just like IRL.

Now, this of course wouldn't be the case in trades however.

I realize the cap splits may not be exactly like the NFL, but I don't like the idea of the huge second year hit.
AFFL- Raiders
MLBSA- Tigers
WLSB- Marlins
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Most favor keeping it real to the NFL salary cap rules regarding this or somewhat real.

I will try to add both the realistic split and keeping the 50/50 split for this year, and will look at adjustment of that again next year (as well as usage of those different types). I am also going to attempt to add exemptions for pre-June 1st transactions. Once you use your exemptions are up, you will not have an option of splitting a cap hit other than waiting until after June 1st.

Many sometimes ask how they can help with league operations. Much of the league is automated and relies upon scripts once I get to them or tweak from year to year, but one thing I could use help in keeping on top of is salary cap rules changes. I try to keep up but did most of my research on it 2 years ago and often busy with the script adjustments for league operation. I may also create some tools for assistance with changing player details (like when real teams change for a player as that may impact game simulation, or injuries and IR and suspensions and retirements, etc).

We won't always follow those NFL salary cap rules 100% because our sim league is a little different and we don't want overwhelming rules nobody understands, but definitely want to make sure we keep on top of how things happen in reality and any changes to that for consideration of modification here to keep in line with the real GM jobs and decisions made based upon those details.