2010 ENHANCEMENT: Would you use...

What potential functionality should be priorities?

Enhance Team Pages with blogs, announcements, away notification, schedules, team stats, history, archives, articles, etc.
22%
Enhance player pages and build our own player grading system/site with some existing grade influence but going beyond that to control our own player grades.
13%
Improve trade, free agency, or draft tools.
4%
Improve roster management tools and salary cap implications to be less confusing.
4%
Enhance GM experience - hiring coaches or offensive/defensive strategy.
15%
Enhance GM experience - improved media/news functionality (enhanced Bort Report), leaking trade offers, floating rumors, interact with beat reporter questions, putting names out there for trades, etc.
19%
Make sim results more exciting, generate viewing broadcast play-by-play to see game play out in real time.
11%
Add another football league.
2%
Forget football, it's fine -- focus on adding other sports more.
10%
Forget everything else, game simulator needs major overhaul.
No votes

Total votes: 112

Goodell

Re: 2010 ENHANCEMENT: Would you use...

Post by Goodell »

While I'm at it, another one to mention discussed last year but was a little too complex to make it work last year but will try to again next year is putting individual stats in more context. A 100-yard game (with 5 yard ave) behind a great OL in reality against a weak defense in reality wouldn't mean as much as a 100-yard game (with 5 yard average) behind a weaker graded OL in reality against a strong defense in reality.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Goodell wrote:These have been discussed before and intented to be included in the game before (but not finished in time for last season), but wanted to make sure these were known to all again before the draft. For next year's game simulator hope to include:

- Defensive individual stats. Probably initially helping most with sacks generated being based upon something more tangible each week, but a real sack won't necessarily mean a sim sack against a very strong sim OL. As noted above, if your DB has 3 picks against the worst QB in the game it won't mean that DB will have 3 picks in the sim against Peyton Manning who threw 0 picks in reality that week. The QB will primarily still drive his production with supporting cast grades adjusting it.

- Big Plays. Like returns currently, we'll hopefully add LONG play individual stats. I currently upload box scores from yahoo sports format and last year they listed long play for RB and WRs in addition to returners, so if that remains the case and I can work it in will probably try to incorporate more long plays for those updates. That may not necessarily be great for teams with big play players as opposed to last year because arguably might be better to get seven 10-yard runs versus one 60 yarder and ten 1-yarders, but incorporating the big play will be more realistic.

- Expansion of the Depth Chart. Based upon new stats upload method at the end of last year I think I can get more player updates in with less work (upload entire box score for each game), which would mean we'd have to do less individual by individual entry. That could probably mean bringing in more than 4 WRs eligible to catch the ball, or only 3 RBs to touch the ball. I don't know if we'll expand the depth chart entry page, but could have the game simulator look to other players on your roster during the game generation if those designated depth chart players have used up most of their update already and bring in some other players to get involved also on the team.
Another to add under depth chart expansion is having more returners available rather than just one KR and one PR. In real games usually 2 guys back on kick returns and sometimes different guys in the game. We could just add 2 KR, but could also be some automated checking for return stat updates in a game possibly.
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

A quick team blog has been created in time for the upcoming draft this Saturday. You should see a link to post a team blog on your team roster page near the top. I'll be adding some other functionality to that such as edit/delete and possibly other GM comments. The blogs might be good ways to expand more upon big transaction announcements or to introduce your new draft pick selections. We'll see how those go and adjust as needed from there.

The RotoWorld news feed I believe was the problem with the site being really slow at times previously (that and inexpensive shared hosing possibly). It seems to avoid those slow downs now that I've taken that off, but might add it back after the draft. In it's place on the right column I'll have recent team blog links.