2010 RULES: 2010 CAP

Initial thoughts on artificial cap figure for 2010 here?

$125M - Lower cap for anticipated conservative spending in reality.
No votes
$128M - Cap kept at same level as NFL last year.
15%
$132M - Estimated for 2010 at one site a member posted.
20%
$137M - Based upon average percentage increase from 2007 to 2009 (7.95%)
43%
$139M - Based upon same percentage increase from 2008 to 2009 (9.48%).
5%
$140M - Round those calculated figures up.
8%
$150M - Nice round figure, high cap to recognize opportunity for more free spending in reality.
5%
$167M - Metioned in next season cap discussions by member.
3%
$170M - perhaps set cap really high in recognition of uncapped year in reality where most teams won't spend that much but if they do may suffer consequences for next year if cap returns and is much lower.
3%

Total votes: 40

RyanM

Re: 2010 RULES: 2010 CAP

Post by RyanM »

Goodell wrote:We do have to have some flexibility in the off-season in situations because 10M or more can swing from team to team based upon a matching decision, but when teams have to match or not they aren't allowed to match an offer if they don't have room to fit it under the cap. We've definitely had situations like that last year where I had to work with a team to make sure they had cap room to match an offer.

I think the rule from the old site listings were always under the cap outside of temporary situations and having 48 hours to get under. I think that's ideal, but if a team over primarily because they have over 53 men or a tagged player they won't be able to match with a veteran GM it's not as concerning but as a general rule for the league I believe it's been need to be under always outside of those temporary situations quickly corrected.
What about a team that's over the cap due to franchise and/or transition tags but reduces the overage when it matches? Will they still be allowed to match the deal? I'm thinking about a situation where a team could be over by $10M because they've tagged a player. After that player receives an offer the team would only be over by $5M if it matched the offer. Will you allow a team to match in that scenario or do they have to be under the cap period?

I personally don't think you should be able to tag players if it puts you over the cap, IMHO.
Ryan McKnight
Seattle GM - AFFL
Seattle GM - EFFL
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

RyanM wrote:What about a team that's over the cap due to franchise and/or transition tags but reduces the overage when it matches? Will they still be allowed to match the deal? I'm thinking about a situation where a team could be over by $10M because they've tagged a player. After that player receives an offer the team would only be over by $5M if it matched the offer. Will you allow a team to match in that scenario or do they have to be under the cap period?

I personally don't think you should be able to tag players if it puts you over the cap, IMHO.
I tend to agree, and will try to get some official rules up this summer based upon our off-season discussions that will be more in line with trying to keep teams near the cap or if over just temporarily and quickly corrected.

For matching I've always had that it had to fit within your salary cap to match or else it's really not fair to the bidding team to have won the bid, put in a contract that pays the player well as free agency intended, have the offer-sheet in such a way that the other team would have a difficult time matching it (which is also what teams try to do if they want to sign a restricted player away) but then have the player stay with his home team anyway even though not enough cap space currently.

So to match an offer, definitely need to have the cap space to do so.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
Dan M

Post by Dan M »

Goodell wrote:
RyanM wrote:What about a team that's over the cap due to franchise and/or transition tags but reduces the overage when it matches? Will they still be allowed to match the deal? I'm thinking about a situation where a team could be over by $10M because they've tagged a player. After that player receives an offer the team would only be over by $5M if it matched the offer. Will you allow a team to match in that scenario or do they have to be under the cap period?

I tend to agree, and will try to get some official rules up this summer based upon our off-season discussions that will be more in line with trying to keep teams near the cap or if over just temporarily and quickly corrected.

For matching I've always had that it had to fit within your salary cap to match or else it's really not fair to the bidding team to have won the bid, put in a contract that pays the player well as free agency intended, have the offer-sheet in such a way that the other team would have a difficult time matching it (which is also what teams try to do if they want to sign a restricted player away) but then have the player stay with his home team anyway even though not enough cap space currently.

So to match an offer, definitely need to have the cap space to do so.
Yeah, I was wondering about that after seeing the NY Giants match the offer on Eli in CFFL. He's got to trim a decent amount of cap room to fit that contract.

So how does that work? Would he have to make the cap room to fit Eli before the 48 window is up or otherwise Manning goes to CLE? Not just that, but even if he were able to somehow squeeze Manning under the cap, he still needs 9 more players.
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

I don't move a player to a matching team unless they are below the cap at the time I move the player. They have 48 hours to post that they match as well as have the cap space for me to move the player there.

It can't get any more complicated than that, though, in terms of trying to see who else they need to sign or their individual needs. Caps a highly flexible. I could go from right at the ceiling to 10M below by making one cut and one contract restructuring in a matter of seconds. The only requirement is they post they match within 48 hours (not including the weekend) and that I won't move the player to their team unless they have the cap room to do so, and that all has to be within that matching window.
Dan M

Post by Dan M »

Goodell wrote:I don't move a player to a matching team unless they are below the cap at the time I move the player. They have 48 hours to post that they match as well as have the cap space for me to move the player there.

It can't get any more complicated than that, though, in terms of trying to see who else they need to sign or their individual needs. Caps a highly flexible. I could go from right at the ceiling to 10M below by making one cut and one contract restructuring in a matter of seconds. The only requirement is they post they match within 48 hours (not including the weekend) and that I won't move the player to their team unless they have the cap room to do so, and that all has to be within that matching window.
Sorry. I never meant to insinuate that the other 9 roster spots should factor in. I was just thinking out loud after looking at his roster, that's all.
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Yeah, no problem. That's just what I look at to process the an offer-sheet match so people know. I move the player, take a look at the team page to make sure he's been moved, and if they are in the red for cap space I move him back and send a PM to the team letting them know that I can't move the matched player until there is room to do so within this matching window and have them let me know when they've cleared the space.
sportznut

Post by sportznut »

Goodell wrote:Yeah, no problem. That's just what I look at to process the an offer-sheet match so people know. I move the player, take a look at the team page to make sure he's been moved, and if they are in the red for cap space I move him back and send a PM to the team letting them know that I can't move the matched player until there is room to do so within this matching window and have them let me know when they've cleared the space.
So just to be perfectly clear, anyone that was posted on Friday, has until tomorrow (Tuesday) to match AND get under the cap, correct?

I still have some guys out there in limbo, and want to make sure.
AFFL- Raiders
MLBSA- Tigers
WLSB- Marlins
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

sportznut wrote: So just to be perfectly clear, anyone that was posted on Friday, has until tomorrow (Tuesday) to match AND get under the cap, correct?

I'm going to try to chart all them all out... really wish I would have been able to automate that but perhaps by the end of FA for the future... the claim system almost done and I'm about to get that in gear to send out claimed players, and then maybe trying to automate FA claiming in the coming days.

If someone was officially signed on the weekend their original team would have all day monday and all day tuesday (48 hours) to match and post that by midnight tomorrow.

If a player signed Friday, the first 24 hours on the clock (not counting weekend) would be the same time of day monday and then the 48 hours up at that time on Tuesday. If not time (if not posted on message board with date/time) we'll just use end of day tuesday for those also.
sportznut

Post by sportznut »

Goodell wrote:
sportznut wrote: So just to be perfectly clear, anyone that was posted on Friday, has until tomorrow (Tuesday) to match AND get under the cap, correct?

I'm going to try to chart all them all out... really wish I would have been able to automate that but perhaps by the end of FA for the future... the claim system almost done and I'm about to get that in gear to send out claimed players, and then maybe trying to automate FA claiming in the coming days.

If someone was officially signed on the weekend their original team would have all day monday and all day tuesday (48 hours) to match and post that by midnight tomorrow.

If a player signed Friday, the first 24 hours on the clock (not counting weekend) would be the same time of day monday and then the 48 hours up at that time on Tuesday. If not time (if not posted on message board with date/time) we'll just use end of day tuesday for those also.
That's what I was looking for. Thanks.
AFFL- Raiders
MLBSA- Tigers
WLSB- Marlins