2010 RULES: 2010 CAP

Initial thoughts on artificial cap figure for 2010 here?

$125M - Lower cap for anticipated conservative spending in reality.
No votes
$128M - Cap kept at same level as NFL last year.
15%
$132M - Estimated for 2010 at one site a member posted.
20%
$137M - Based upon average percentage increase from 2007 to 2009 (7.95%)
43%
$139M - Based upon same percentage increase from 2008 to 2009 (9.48%).
5%
$140M - Round those calculated figures up.
8%
$150M - Nice round figure, high cap to recognize opportunity for more free spending in reality.
5%
$167M - Metioned in next season cap discussions by member.
3%
$170M - perhaps set cap really high in recognition of uncapped year in reality where most teams won't spend that much but if they do may suffer consequences for next year if cap returns and is much lower.
3%

Total votes: 40

Goodell

2010 RULES: 2010 CAP

Post by Goodell »

So we'll have to have an artificial cap (or budget spending restriction) this year and unlike any other season for FanGM so far we'll have to come up with our own number instead of riding along with what the actual NFL salary cap is for a current season. Going back to look at league postings for cap figures we used (usually right around NFL numbers)...

In 2007 our initial cap was $109M.
For 2008, $116M (6.42% increase for us).
In 2009, $127M (9.48% increase for us)... real NFL cap was 128M but I belive updated from 127 after we already started league activity at 127.

I was hoping to find more stories about what the NFL salary cap WOULD have been in 2010 had the NFL stayed on course and perhaps use that as a guide. I found an article that the Steelers were going to calculate what it would have been and spend that much as if cap still existed but no mention of what that figure would be.

Or perhaps stories about the projected budgets for teams like you often see in uncapped baseball with how much teams are expected to spend each year compared to last year.

Not getting a lot of information yet, but figured we might as well get a poll up and start talking about possible artificial cap numbers now. If we find better information later we can evaluate further beyond these choices. Most of the poll suggestions came from this forum and figures mentioned in discussions by GMs.

A conservative approach would be to keep it the same figuring some may spend more this year, some will spend much less in economic times and with no spending floor, but most may spend about the same and we wouldn't have to make up a figure but instead just use existing number.

We could also lower the cap if most feel the NFL reality is that most teams will be more conservative in general under the NFL's new realities and so should our teams.

Or we could really raise it and set a high budget for teams at a cap level that many teams won't spend up to but will allow some teams to go on a shopping spree like the Bears in reality, but with the risk that spending up to the high budget allowed this year could be disasterous next year if a cap returns at a much lower figure and you have to cut a ton of players to get down to new future cap. But a really high artificial cap would allow for that reality element of free spending this year with future consequences.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
dinkatoid

Re: 2010 RULES: 2010 CAP

Post by dinkatoid »

I personally would like to see the cap go up a little bit because a lot of us have back loaded contracts with players that could be tight if we hold the same cap or lower it. However, I think if we go up too high we just inflate the value of free agents because people will just spend more money on each player instead of getting more for their money. I think a 8-10% increase like the 2 suggested in the pole (there were 2 options depending on the years of the increase) that are similar to how the NFL usually ups the cap would be good.
CFFL - Cheifs
AFBL - San Antonio Spurs
TylerW

Post by TylerW »

I picked the 140 number but the leader at 137 is ok with me. It deff. needs to go up someway but no a ton so i think the 137-140 range is good.
GM SD Chargers CFFL
Franchise Record: 72-23-1 (Playoffs: 4-5)
-2008,2009,2010,2011,2013 AFC West Division Champions
-2008 AFC Champions
GM NY Giants AFFL
Franchise Record: 4-44
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Just an additional reminder that when an NFL cap returns we're pretty certain to go back to the NFL cap as a guideline as before. If we set it at 137M for example, and the NFL makes it 132M in 2011 for real, our cap would likely be 5M lower the following season under that scenario -- unless most GMs voted to go completely off the NFL track as before.

I personally voted for the extension of the NFL's 128M, but can understand a little higher. And could even get behind a much higher cap so long as people understood they could really jack their franchise up if the cap was 20M less the next year, but could be risky in a sim league where people can just up and leave too (and leave behind a couple teams in ruin).
Jared A

Post by Jared A »

I went with the one in the middle. Several GM's are expecting raises, but I also am hesitant that the real NFL's cap might end up being lower than ours.
Joe

Post by Joe »

I voted 150 because with this year being uncapped, it looks like my team in DFFL planned it that way. 150 would allow me to compete with what I have and then maybe have a little bit to play with in free agency. As far as AFFL and CFFL, I would have voted around the 137 or 140.

Im not sure of everybodies financial status, but the DFFL is going to be rough for quite a few of us this offseason.

In a perfect world, Id like to see 3 different caps for the three separate leagues, at least this year. Affl is grea where they are with most of the guys there being on new deals signed by us. CFFL is a year behind with DFFL being brand new, and thus not being cap friendly this year.

Any thoughts?
Joe Militzer
Baltimore Ravens GM Affl
Cleveland Browns GM Cffl
Minnesota Vikings GM Dffl
whteshark

Post by whteshark »

I fear a really high cap will inflate the free agent market with ridiculous contracts. It will be The AFFL/DFFL version of the Weimar Republic. What happens in 2011 if the league and Union reach a deal and the cap is much lower? Alot of teams will feel the limbs breaking beneath their proverbial feet.

With a struggling American economy in real life, The NFL could possibly see their profit margins thin. If there is a strike it could take years for the NFL to regain its previous profits.

Humbly, my two cents.
Regular Season: 161-79-1
Playoff Appearances: 10 of 16
Division Titles: 9
Conference Titles: 5
Playoffs: 17-7
AFFL Bowls: 3-2

AFFL Bowl I Winner
AFFL Bowl IV Winner
AFFL Bowl VIII Winner
Joe

Post by Joe »

I think thats part of it Shark. I know our teams financially are on opposite ends where you have 90 spent for next year where im at 133 already. If its at 132 or 137, Im in a world of hurt. if its 150, I can at least compete to resign a few guys, draft who I want and be able to franchise and transition a couple guys. Thinking more about it, 150 wont be much for me personally to compete in free agency. If guys have to go into free agency with more money, they have to know next year they wont have as much and would hopefully spend cautiously. But then again you could have the few that blow there load and sign everybody they can to one year deals. Then we have this discussion again next year when there is a set cap hopefully in place

In the end, I know its my problem, Im just throwing my thoughts out there.
Joe Militzer
Baltimore Ravens GM Affl
Cleveland Browns GM Cffl
Minnesota Vikings GM Dffl
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Joe wrote:In a perfect world, Id like to see 3 different caps for the three separate leagues, at least this year. Any thoughts?
It is pretty doable technically without much change as I have league settings in the database for each league with the cap a variable for each.

I would personally lean toward the same cap figure across the board as it's always been, but a case could certainly be brought to try to convince most GMs otherwise. If DFFL does have a financial problem generally, a higher cap than the other leagues might just make that worse in the long-run instead or delay the inevitable instead of getting in line sooner.

There are ways to create cap room with restructuring a big contract, or making a selective big name cut as you see hit the streets in the NFL every year like Brian Westbrook, Thomas Jones, Jamal Williams, LT, etc.

I'd like to look more into DFFL troubles and what may be the cause. I probably don't follow the daily transactions as closely as the league I have a team. Wondering if it's the data entry (or perhaps problem with entry) of real contracts where some teams were figuring an uncapped year (in which case we can't really do anything about), or a lot of new GMs making some initial learning mistakes financially to overcome, or what.
Last edited by Goodell on Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
vikingfan

Post by vikingfan »

I am fine with either 132 or 137 (voted 132). We get to aggressive now and we are going to have a bunch of teams in a world of hurt next year.