Franchising a Player Rules

Jared A

Re: Franchising a Player Rules

Post by Jared A »

It won't really save me anything at all...

Eil was currently going for around 20mil per year for 7 years. If I franchise him, I assume I'll be paying about 18mil (once you include the SB). Add that to the fact that I overpaid him the first year by 20mil... there's absolutely zero savings in the long run. I just wanted to spend it THIS year... rather than a little at a time over the next 6 or 7 years.
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Ulrich82 wrote:I have one last question regarding franchise rules. Has there ever been a discussion about merging some of the franchise player categories?

I am new here, and I haven't been through a simulated game yet, but my understanding is that there is really no difference between a C, G, and T as far as the simulation is concerned. I mean that an offensive line with an A center and C+ G, G, T, and T is the same as a line with an A tackle and C+ C, G, G, and T. Yet the franchise tag for Tackles is usually the highest.

If it is true that linemen are indistinguishable to the simulation, perhaps we should compute a weighted average of the NFL franchise numbers for C, G, and T and use that as the offensive lineman franchise tender.

This is possibly applicable to CB/S and front seven positions as well.
We use the franchise tag numbers directly from the NFL every year:
http://prod.www.nfl.com/news/story?id=0 ... nfirm=true

I don't believe they distinguish between any of the offensive lineman, at least according to the published article on NFL.com listing out the franchise tag tender amounts by position. They just have the OL lumped together there. If a tackle got more, maybe due to increase of already higher salary and not just the published top 5 figure for that position. Unless that list there was incomplete or didn't go into more details, but that's what we've always used the list from NFL.com that comes out each year for those tender amounts and the positions they list associated with those.

There will probably be a lot of changes if/when the NFL gets a new labor agreement full of new processes and tweaks to the system. So probably lots more rules discussions next off-season, and amongst that can also talk about different tweaks to our own systems too. Suggestions are always good and more options to discuss toward improving things is always welcome.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
John W.

Post by John W. »

Jared A wrote: ...
Eil was currently going for around 20mil per year for 7 years. If I franchise him, I assume I'll be paying about 18mil (once you include the SB).
This is exactly why you should need to offer 120% of previous year's salary. Otherwise you would be restricting the amount of teams willing to offer him a top salary next year due to the 2 1st round picks required while at the same time cutting his salary to about 75% of his previous year's amount.

Otherwise, if you aren't willing to commit 120% then he gets to be a ufa and you will have unlimited bids just not matching option.
John Webb
New England Patriots
General Manager - AFFL
The Unofficial AFFL Almanac