Draft Day 2010

Do you have a draft preference?

Friday 4/23 Draft Day (after NFL round 1 over)
15%
Saturday 4/24 Draft Day (after NFL round 1-3 over)
22%
Sunday 4/25 Draft Day (after entire NFL draft over)
1%
Monday 4/26 Draft Day (after entire NFL draft over)
8%
SPEED: SLOW - Same as last year - 20 min windows round 1-2, 15 min windows round 3-7 with one round per day.
21%
SPEED: FASTER - Keep time windows but speed up - 15 min round 1-2, 10 min round 3-7.
19%
Go back to the old system of clock re-set for all picks throughout draft (less certainty over when you're on the clock with no time window set).
2%
Mixed format with round 1 on the clock (timer re-set after each pick like NFL draft), and then move to time windows for rounds 2-7.
13%

Total votes: 96

Goodell

Draft Day 2010

Post by Goodell »

I believe when the draft started Saturday last year we got ours going the next day on Sunday. The day after the NFL start is usually how we do it as I recall but the NFL is changing things up this year going to a 3-day event and having round 1 in primetime on Thursday night.
The NFL draft moves to primetime for the first time in 2010, with the first round taking place Thurs., April 22 at 7:30 p.m. ET, followed by the second and third rounds on Fri., April 23 at 6 p.m. ET. Rounds 4-7 will be held Sat., April 24 at 10 a.m. ET.
So one question we need to look at is the draft day start. The default based upon some initial feedback will be Saturday morning, although I'll also see what the interest is on Friday morning (after round 1 over the night before) because by Saturday the NFL will be heading into round 4 before we got going. I need to load in the NFL order as the default for teams that don't make their picks and don't have their queue set up, so can't really start at the same time as the NFL draft because I need some time to load in the NFL results for our pick defaults.

I was also reading through some of the comments from last year's draft. Some thought the first round dragged. We had time windows for the first time throughout, with I think most liking a set time they knew their pick would be up (3:00-3:15pm) but some others liking the old way that more mirrored being on the clock in the real draft with the timer resetting with each selection. It was 20 minutes for each time window for rounds 1 and 2 last year, and 15 minutes per pick time window in 3-7, and there seemed to be some interest last year in shortening those.

As always, we will have a draft queue for teams to pre-load their selections ahead of time and have the computer pick if they are away. I am going to look at some possible enhancement to that, and there was also some talk about trying to get in an "away" autopick where it could be set to automatically tell the computer to do the autopick immediately instead of waiting until the time window up, but that was more useful the old way with the clock reset each pick instead of the time windows where it doesn't help much to get ahead of the time windows because eventually will be a long wait if get too far ahead of the schedule.

The default position will be to stick with the time windows like last year but shortening them. 15 minutes for round 1-2, and 10 minutes for 3-7.

There might be some possibility too of having a mixed system where round 1 on day 1 could be the old way on the clock with the timer resetting after each pick in real time (as soon as pick X made, the next team on the clock for 15 minutes starting now), and then moving to scheduled time windows in rounds 2-7 the following days.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
Jared A

Re: Draft Day 2010

Post by Jared A »

What if we did half of round one friday? I'm assuming several people will need to be at work.

If you started at 5PM you could get 15 picks in by 10PM (assuming 20min per pick)

If you started at 4PM you could get 24 picks in by 10PM (assuming 15min per pick)

If you start at 3PM and go until 11PM you could get 32 picks in (assuming 15min per pick)

It makes no difference to me. But, I think for the average working person, if Friday is done, it should be later in the day.
Adam K

Post by Adam K »

Jared A wrote:What if we did half of round one friday? I'm assuming several people will need to be at work.

If you started at 5PM you could get 15 picks in by 10PM (assuming 20min per pick)

If you started at 4PM you could get 24 picks in by 10PM (assuming 15min per pick)

If you start at 3PM and go until 11PM you could get 32 picks in (assuming 15min per pick)

It makes no difference to me. But, I think for the average working person, if Friday is done, it should be later in the day.
To be honest making a pick at work is easier than making a pick not at work...I guess it depends if you are by a computer or not
dinkatoid

Post by dinkatoid »

I would assume that even if we started during the afternoon on Friday, it would not be a very big deal. Even at 15 mins a pick, if the top teams all queued up their player choices, they would not have to be there. Even if we started around 3 (as someone suggested), by 5:30 only 10 teams would have picked. It would not be hard to queue up your top 10-15 choices, since you are guaranteed one of them (if you pick in the top 15)
CFFL - Cheifs
AFBL - San Antonio Spurs
Jared A

Post by Jared A »

like i said... it doesn't matter to me. I still have the next couple weeks off. Just was thinking.
Ben C.

Post by Ben C. »

Side question - did you happen to archive the draft results from 2009 somewhere we can access?
AFFL Arizona - General Manager
Regular Season Record - 174-66-1
Playoff Record - 13-12
AFFL Bowl Record - 0-2

2x NFC Champions - 2010, 2016
11x NFC West Champions - 2007-12, 2014-15, 2017-18, 2021
AFFL History
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Ben C. wrote:Side question - did you happen to archive the draft results from 2009 somewhere we can access?
The 2009 picks grouped by team can still be seen at the draft link, but not the 1-256 in order since I have the 2010 order showing there. When I get the draft tools up again this week I hope to have some additional archiving links added.
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Friday and Saturday so far are getting the most support, but we'll give it some time. If that remains the case, what we often do is turn the draft on the night before for teams to put in picks if they are ready but won't have the time windows start until the next day -- so could get in a handful of picks potentially off the clock Friday night possibly before it officially started Saturday with the next pick's set time window.

Meant to have an even faster time window option up there. If a lot of support for faster pace might just do round 1 at the 15 minutes and rounds 2-7 at the quicker 10 minute. Open to suggestions also.
Royce R

Post by Royce R »

I know everyone is really getting excited for the draft as we all do every year.

And we always want to hurry up and get to our picks. But please remember that the summer can get very very long after the draft. So please don't rush the best part of our league.
AFFL - Titans GM since 2007
96 - 62 - 2 regular season
6 playoff appearances
4 division titles
2 conference titles
1 AFFL title
Ben C.

Post by Ben C. »

Royce R wrote:I know everyone is really getting excited for the draft as we all do every year.

And we always want to hurry up and get to our picks. But please remember that the summer can get very very long after the draft. So please don't rush the best part of our league.
This is a good point and I'll change my vote to going at the slower pace as we did last year. The draft is a very exciting time of the year - every round is exciting and the event should be drawn out to get the most possible enjoyment out of it.
AFFL Arizona - General Manager
Regular Season Record - 174-66-1
Playoff Record - 13-12
AFFL Bowl Record - 0-2

2x NFC Champions - 2010, 2016
11x NFC West Champions - 2007-12, 2014-15, 2017-18, 2021
AFFL History