Draft Day 2010

Do you have a draft preference?

Friday 4/23 Draft Day (after NFL round 1 over)
15%
Saturday 4/24 Draft Day (after NFL round 1-3 over)
22%
Sunday 4/25 Draft Day (after entire NFL draft over)
1%
Monday 4/26 Draft Day (after entire NFL draft over)
8%
SPEED: SLOW - Same as last year - 20 min windows round 1-2, 15 min windows round 3-7 with one round per day.
21%
SPEED: FASTER - Keep time windows but speed up - 15 min round 1-2, 10 min round 3-7.
19%
Go back to the old system of clock re-set for all picks throughout draft (less certainty over when you're on the clock with no time window set).
2%
Mixed format with round 1 on the clock (timer re-set after each pick like NFL draft), and then move to time windows for rounds 2-7.
13%

Total votes: 96

Onyxgem

Re: Draft Day 2010

Post by Onyxgem »

Goodell wrote:Friday and Saturday so far are getting the most support, but we'll give it some time. If that remains the case, what we often do is turn the draft on the night before for teams to put in picks if they are ready but won't have the time windows start until the next day -- so could get in a handful of picks potentially off the clock Friday night possibly before it officially started Saturday with the next pick's set time window.

Meant to have an even faster time window option up there. If a lot of support for faster pace might just do round 1 at the 15 minutes and rounds 2-7 at the quicker 10 minute. Open to suggestions also.

I like the idea of turning the draft on friday evening and letting teams make picks if they want to, but they don't have to do it that night. Then we can start the draft Sat morning.
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

We'll officially start on Saturday 4/24, and have the draft turned on for teams to enter picks starting Friday the day before.

I have the draft tool turned on now for teams to start loading up their queues. If you can't make it to do your pick manually during your pick window, the system picks from your preference queue. I still need to fill in the exact time windows throughout.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
Troy S

Post by Troy S »

After the NFL draft starts for real, we'll incorporate the actual NFL overall slot for each player and use that as the order for top available players (also the default selection if a team doesn't make a manual pick and doesn't have any players in queue). For now, we'll use Scout Inc's top 32 to put some sort order to the top guys.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft

Next to the More Info link to the player's rotoworld page for updated news, is a link for You Tube video search as it seems like a lot of video highlights and analysis up on the players online if teams want to hit the film there.

You get to the draft tool by clicking Draft in the top navigation and selecting the league.
Adam K

Post by Adam K »

Goodell wrote:We'll officially start on Saturday 4/24, and have the draft turned on for teams to enter picks starting Friday the day before.

I have the draft tool turned on now for teams to start loading up their queues. If you can't make it to do your pick manually during your pick window, the system picks from your preference queue. I still need to fill in the exact time windows throughout.
Good work Troy...I do have a question and a concern - When will the draft start on Saturday and when will it end (time or round)? - Also, I will going to an out-of-town wedding our draft weekend I have my board set for that No. 10 overall selection and I don't have a second round pick, I assuming that I don't need to worry about my 3rd-round (should be able to get back to a computer Sunday night)...also I can't access the draft page on my phone for some reason, I have access to everything else, just not that - doubt there is anyway around that or is there
Adam K

Post by Adam K »

Adam K wrote:
Goodell wrote:We'll officially start on Saturday 4/24, and have the draft turned on for teams to enter picks starting Friday the day before.

Good work Troy...I do have a question and a concern - When will the draft start on Saturday and when will it end (time or round)? - Also, I will going to an out-of-town wedding our draft weekend I have my board set for that No. 10 overall selection and I don't have a second round pick, I assuming that I don't need to worry about my 3rd-round (should be able to get back to a computer Sunday night)...also I can't access the draft page on my phone for some reason, I have access to everything else, just not that - doubt there is anyway around that or is there
Meant for that to be a PM...oh well
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

The due dates for each round have now been updated. That's the time the pick will be due, and the team will be on the clock 20 minutes before that time in rounds 1-2 (as voted above) and 15 minutes before that due date for rounds 3-7.

I have also updated the trade tool to show overall pick numbers for 2010 draft instead of just by original team designation. Let me know if any problems noted. thanks
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Sorry, apparently something off with the trade tool (perhaps missed one of the places to change from 2009 to 2010 overall picks). Should have it fixed tomorrow but probably best not to accept a deal at the moment and make a note of the details.
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Goodell wrote:Sorry, apparently something off with the trade tool (perhaps missed one of the places to change from 2009 to 2010 overall picks). Should have it fixed tomorrow but probably best not to accept a deal at the moment and make a note of the details.
I believe it is fixed now, but if you come across any errors or it tells you it can't complete a trade for a reason jot that down to help troubleshoot it. If you accepted a trade in the last day, double check to make sure no problems with it and let me know otherwise, but hopefully good to go now. Thanks!
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

With the draft coming up soon (will try to turn it on Friday afternoon and official start on Saturday morning at 10am ET), I'm trying to go through each league's free agency signings and see if any picks still need to be moved for not matching restricted players. I'll contact the teams involved if I find pick movement that looks like it hadn't been resolved by the teams yet. And hopefully have a better system of that next year automatically.

If you are in that situation and believe a pick is still due to you from an RFA signed away that you didn't match, send me a PM to resolve it. Thanks.
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

One league down, two more to go tonight in terms of me going through the free agency signings and moving compensation picks if it doesn't appear that the teams have already done that amongst themselves. AFFL had a small handful in which I contacted both teams involved in the pick movement to let me know if that shouldn't be the case. If you are in CFFL/DFFL and know you have a compensation pick coming from an RFA you didn't match, let me know to expidite that before the draft and so that I don't miss it.

http://www.fangm.com/football/directory.php

On the GM Directory page it will show which teams have players loaded in their draft queue. Not a lot right now, so would be helpful in me trying to round up all the GMs for the draft if everybody will put at least one player in their queue so I know those teams have visited their draft page and ready to go. To do that, click Draft link in the main navigation above and then click to add a player to your queue. To the new GMs, if you don't have a player ranking in your queue and aren't here in time to make your pick manually before the time window closes, the system will automatically give you the highest available player based upon NFL draft slot who hasn't been taken in the sim league draft yet, so if only as a backup in case an emergency comes up it's a good idea to at least have something in the queue anyway.

But will really help me know who is ready for the draft and who may not be if I can see who hasn't put anybody into the queue yet. I'll contact those GMs who haven't used the queue and haven't been around for a while, and those teams could be candidates for GM replacement before the draft. Thanks