Madden 2010 Ratings

sportznut

Re: Madden 2010 Ratings

Post by sportznut »

dinkatoid wrote:
sportznut wrote:]Perhaps one way to work with the position flexibility is to allow a player to play ALL positions he's played the previous season, and any new positions he might be playing this year. The only requirement is that it MUST be in the NFL. So if he played tackle in college, but is a rookie guard in the NFL, he's not eligible at tackle.
See, but this is a very fine line. The thing is, we are supposed to be the GM. While it would be nice to cut down some flexibility, I do not really think it is needed. Sure, it may not be his natural position in the NFL, but we do not know he can't play it just because he is not. Since you are the GM, you could possibly choose to put him somewhere where his current NFL team would not, seeing as he did play it in college, its not too big of a stretch.

Before someone points it out, let me make this clear. We can't over do this though obviously. I am not suggesting that I should be able to make my qb play DT if I wanted (even though Russell probably could). Just that we could move him to a position he has previously played, even if it was in college.
In most cases, that's just unrealistic to think that a player could play multiple positions AT THE SAME GRADE LEVEL. If a guy played CB in college, but has been a safety in the pros, its probably b/c he can't handle CB. And the further he's been removed from the college game, the less likely it is that he could go back to his original position.

In baseball, most of the best players played SS at some point. A lot of them played SS right before they got drafted, or even in the minors. There's a reason they get moved to 2B, 3B, the OF, wherever.

Yes, there are cases where players can play multiple positions, or are playing guard b/c the team has two solid tackles. That is why I suggested that if you used the current year along with the previous year, that would take care of that.

The biggest issue is having someone who is graded an A at OLB, and thinking they could also play DE without any sort of hit to their grade, when in fact most guys that move from DE to OLB in the NFL is due to lack of size and strength.
AFFL- Raiders
MLBSA- Tigers
WLSB- Marlins
John W.

Post by John W. »

John Webb
New England Patriots
General Manager - AFFL
The Unofficial AFFL Almanac
dale358z

Post by dale358z »

Keith Bulluck-85 [DFFL-Titans}
DFFL-Tennessee Titans GM
Overall Record 2-0
Dustin S.

Post by Dustin S. »

idk, if this has been mentioned, but westbrook is a 80 in the last madden update.
AFFL Philadelphia Eagles GM
2008- 10-6, 0-1
2009- 6-10
2010- 10-6
2011- 12-4, 1-1
2012- 7-9
CFFL Arizona Cardinals GM
2010- 8-8
2011- 5-11
2012- 9-7
soonertf

Post by soonertf »

Goodell wrote:I read that a new player update might be coming out Thursday or Friday based upon the 53 man rosters and recent evaluations. Hopefully most of the players without grades are covered in that with a new grade for 2011. Those that aren't, we'll use the free agent rankings. For players no on real teams after week 4, as we did in previous seasons, we'd cut down those rankings from the off-season if still not deemed worthy to be on an NFL roster and Madden not likely updating that player any more this season since not on rosters.

I'm also hoping to get positional flexibility updated and improve the grade calculation script to ensure the grades are optimized before we run our sim for week 1 sometime next week after the NFL games.
I noticed my depth chart for DBs still dooesn't reflect my best 6 guys (due to multiple position issue with Branch). Are you still working on a fix for this?
AFFL - Dallas Cowboy's GM
Regular Season Record - 109-72
Playoff Record - 12-4
AFFL Bowl Record - 3-0

3x AFFL Champions - 2009, 2011, 2018
3x NFC Champions - 2009, 2011, 2018
6x NFC East Champions - 2007, 2009-13
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

soonertf wrote:I noticed my depth chart for DBs still dooesn't reflect my best... Are you still working on a fix for this?
That's been tricky to get what I'm looking for, but still at it. I may just continue to do manual fixes for grades not calculated entirely optimally and keep working at the system doing a more complex grouping going forward.

Reminder again that we do not need GMs to enter stats for their players as we used to, but it would be great to get some verification that the stat upload went okay and PM me if you notice any problems. There are a couple things I noticed I needed adjusting but should get most of them.

You can still get to the weekly update pages here (or go to scores and click weekly updates):
http://www.fangm.com/football/weeklyupdate.php

At the bottom I also have it picking up other contributors on your active roster who had some real stats (some may get pulled into the sim results this year to spread the ball around more after the depth chart guys have their updates filled), as well as DEFENSIVE STATS listed.

As we mentioned this off-season (and also voted positively the year before), we are going to attempt to get defensive stats involved now that there is an easier weekly update loading process. Sacks will make an impact on simulated sacks, as it was a bit too random before and real sacks data will be meaningful in sim pressure. For interceptions, the QB still is the most important driver of his passing numbers. Peyton Manning isn't going to throw 3 sim picks when he had 0 in reality just because you have a DB who got 3 picks against a crappy backup QB. The QB stats mean more toward the INTs generated still, but the INT data will at least get names into the play-by-play for those QB-driven picks and could also come into play helping your pass defense in small ways if you have strong weekly defensive stats in secondary.

Big plays have also been included in the weekly stats and longest run/catch added to the RB/WR updates and listed there also. Testing adding more big plays from that data into the game sim results.

Let me know if any questions. Still plugging away at the changes. Hopefully can run games tonight, but probably very late tonight.

There are usually also a lot of admin changes needed on depth charts for week 1. I'll go through all the teams and replace out players in the depth chart who are no longer on the team, on IR, etc. based upon highest ranked replacement.

If you know of a problem with your area grade or a player's upload stats, send me a PM so I'll have a list to double-check before running the games. Thanks!
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
Ben C.

Post by Ben C. »

http://benjaminclarkphotography.com/foo ... 10_wk2.xls

The latest update to the ratings. I did a couple things different with the spreadsheet this time to make it much easier to get the data in a format that matches what we've used in the past. Now instead of retyping the names and manually typing the old and new ratings, I have formulas that pull that information from what the Madden folks have written. This works as long as their formating is consistent and hopefully it will stay that way.

There were 225 players updated this time around so it's a sizable update. However there were a couple that they apparently updated but didn't provide the new rating. Not sure how you want to handle those so I left them the way they came and put the rows in bold.
AFFL Arizona - General Manager
Regular Season Record - 174-66-1
Playoff Record - 13-12
AFFL Bowl Record - 0-2

2x NFC Champions - 2010, 2016
11x NFC West Champions - 2007-12, 2014-15, 2017-18, 2021
AFFL History
Dan R.

Post by Dan R. »

One discrepancy - on line 122 - it says Hamza Abdullah, MIN - increase from 63 to 67 overall.

They mean Husain. Hamza doesn't play for Minnesota, and moreover, before the update, Husain was a 63 and is now starting, hence the upgrade.
CFFL Houston Texans GM
Lifetime Record - 41-23 (0-2 Postseason)
Nathan S.

Post by Nathan S. »

One question - the update shows Big Al going from 94-91, but on my roster he is listed as an 86?
GM Tampa Bay Buccaneers - AFFL
RebelFan

Post by RebelFan »

Yeah, also, I have Terrell Thomas (CB - Giants) rated 77 on Bears - AFFL.
This update shows him going from 84 to 85.
GM - Chicago Bears - AFFL
GM - San Francisco 49ers - DFFL

"Talent Hoarder"