53 Man Roster Cut-Down : Sept 4

Goodell

Re: 53 Man Roster Cut-Down : Sept 4

Post by Goodell »

chiefbrody wrote:Also, when will 2012 picks be playable?
I've updated the system and 2012 draft picks are now available to be traded. Let me know if any problems doing that. thanks
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

The Practice Squad links within free agency are now active, so you can add players through free agency (if the player is eligible, has cleared waivers, and not on anybody else's active or practice roster). Let me know if any problems with that. Teams can most easily add to practice squad by selecting to cut and move to p-squad from roster page for signed eligible players and they will be moved there automatically for you if they clear waivers afte 48 hours and you have enough space (8 practice squad spots). Let me know if any questions. thanks
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

We'll be freezing the depth charts once the NFL games start for week 1 (Thursday night) so that's coming up soon. Make sure to update your depth chart for week 1 soon from your team roster. thanks!
larry linke

Post by larry linke »

What can we do about the guys that were placed on the PUP list ??

Larry
Minnesota
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

larry linke wrote:What can we do about the guys that were placed on the PUP list ??

Larry
Minnesota
We typically haven't had a PUP list as I recall because we don't have the same physical need for players to do things like play special teams or actually be out on the field in some way and our depth charts are much smaller than needed to play in reality with just the skill positions in the depth charts.

I'm trying to look through discussions on that in the past to see if it was mentioned we'd try to get PUP going this year, or if it would be something to install (if most want it) in a future season through rules changes discussions.
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

I should have done this sooner, but there is some time here for teams to make some adjustments before our regular season. As we've done every year, you don't have to have 53 players physically on your team, but you do have to pay 53 guys. As noted in the off-season at the bottom of your roster (and as we've done every regular season) any empty slots below 53 get a rookie minimum contract associated with the slot.

If you are below your 53 man roster to meet yesterday's deadline but now see yourself above the cap because I've added in the empty slots cost so everybody is paying 53 players toward the cap, and you can't see a way to easily get back under the cap contact me for suggestions. Thanks
soonertf

Post by soonertf »

I think the only fair thing is to keep reversing each of their last transaction until they are under the cap. E
AFFL - Dallas Cowboy's GM
Regular Season Record - 109-72
Playoff Record - 12-4
AFFL Bowl Record - 3-0

3x AFFL Champions - 2009, 2011, 2018
3x NFC Champions - 2009, 2011, 2018
6x NFC East Champions - 2007, 2009-13
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

soonertf wrote:I think the only fair thing is to keep reversing each of their last transaction until they are under the cap. E
That's definitely an option. We've done that before in some cases especially when a big free agent signing created a situation that couldn't be fixed and invalidated the deal to put them back on the market.

It doesn't always help, though, especially with lower contracts, as it would just reduce the number of players on the roster and add another empty roster spot for another rookie salary and not helping much. And if it involved trades with other teams, that could jack up other teams from transactions from a while back.

Usually there is something that can be done, though, in terms of cutting veterans and replacing with less expensive guys making rookie salaries, or in some cases changing decisions to take a cap hit all this year and altering that to split over 2 seasons as could have been chosen where everything is still ultimately accounted for in a way that is available to structure.
RebelFan

Post by RebelFan »

Goodell wrote:
larry linke wrote:What can we do about the guys that were placed on the PUP list ??

Larry
Minnesota
We typically haven't had a PUP list as I recall because we don't have the same physical need for players to do things like play special teams or actually be out on the field in some way and our depth charts are much smaller than needed to play in reality with just the skill positions in the depth charts.

I'm trying to look through discussions on that in the past to see if it was mentioned we'd try to get PUP going this year, or if it would be something to install (if most want it) in a future season through rules changes discussions.
I think we should be able to put PUP guys on injured reserve if nothing else.
GM - Chicago Bears - AFFL
GM - San Francisco 49ers - DFFL

"Talent Hoarder"
larry linke

Post by larry linke »

I am curious why when you sign someone from another teams practice squad and during the seven day waiting period, that player counts as active on your squad. I am currently considered over the roster limit for a player who I fully expect to be matched. The problem is that I am not allowed to bid on any other free agents as the system wont take my bid.

Larry
Minnesota