2011 RULES: Draft Signings

Which is more important for lower round draft signings?

Teams don't go over the cap, even if that creates lower round holdouts.
34%
No unrealistic lower round holdouts, sign all lower round picks automatically at once and if a team goes over must correct within 48 hours.
66%

Total votes: 32

Goodell

2011 RULES: Draft Signings

Post by Goodell »

I mentioned there were a couple of things I wanted to get some feedback on related to issues now for potential changes next year while they are fresh in our minds and so I don't forget next Februrary.

One of them is the automatic signings for rounds 2-7. Things may change quite a bit if they get a new agreement and we modify our rules next year for draft changes, but assuming things are somewhat similar to now which is more important in your mind for lower round draft signings:

- Teams don't go over the cap, so don't allow any signings unless cap room to do so. Even if that means 7th rounders might be holdouts or teams could not sign their draft picks at all until they see all the preseason games and decide if they want to keep or not and avoid signing bonuses for those they decide to end up cutting and never signing.

- No lower round holdouts. It's unrealistic to have lower round holdouts and also some arguably unfair advantages also in teams doing that. Sign all 7th thru 2nd rounders automatically in training camp all at once even if a team goes over the cap to do so, and give them the 48 hour window to correct it (or look into waiting list if team doesn't correct it or inactive for a new GM to fix).

No change obviously for next year, but just one of a couple things I wanted to make sure we get some feedback on for next year and now a good time while we just finished up the draft signings.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office