Logan Mankins

Jared A

Logan Mankins

Post by Jared A »

Is reporting to the Patriots.

That does mean that his rating will go back up to where Madden has him, right?
Goodell

Re: Logan Mankins

Post by Goodell »

Jared A wrote:Is reporting to the Patriots.

That does mean that his rating will go back up to where Madden has him, right?
The idea for moving grades down for players who haven't played in the NFL this year is:

- Madden no longer updates their grades as they aren't on a roster.

- Any previous grade has become old information either from months ago or in some free agency grade cases almost a year ago and arguably not representative of players who either draw little interest from NFL teams as they are without a job or are if sitting out at least unproven as to their ability or lack of rust currently.

In any event, guys coming back onto NFL rosters will ideally have those situations resolved because they are on a roster and are again in a group of players that Madden is potentially updating each week.

If a great player who is coming back and happens to go unnoticed or not updated by Madden despite more eyes being on that situation, then we'd have to take another look at it but for the most part we've always cut those grades down after week 4 and then only moved them back up if part of a madden update of their current value today.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
Jared A

Post by Jared A »

Well... the issue I have is this. Mankins wasn't out because he couldn't find a job. He was holding out... so, it's not like teams thought less of him.

Also, if Madden decides that his grade is accurate, it won't change. So, I'd have a guy that's supposed to be a 8.0 playing at 6.2. That's a pretty big penalty for Madden not updating their numbers.

Once a player is added to a roster... Madden has the right to change their grade. If they don't change their grade, we should assume that they believe the current grade is accurate.
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

"Mankins wasn't out because he couldn't find a job. He was holding out... so, it's not like teams thought less of him."

I covered that amongst the general statement by mentioning if sitting out they were at least unproven as to their ability or lack of rust currently. Someone's grade last year does not automatically become their grade this year. Otherwise you overly reward players for not playing by just assuming previous greatness without any evidence behind it while 99% of the league has to keep EARNING their grades.

Performance can vary from year to year, and especially in cases where players either injured and missed time or volunteered to miss time and not participating in camp or huge chunks of the season (as example last year's defensive MVP arguably at CB or others throughout time looking less than stellar after missing a lot of time holding out). Their role on the team may be different coming back. The schemes may be different and a new learning curve with them missing on training camp and practice time. They may have new vulnerabilities or not be as ready as they would be under normal circumstances of previous years without missing huge amounts of time. Or maybe not, ideally madden will objectively let us know.

Our GMs have it much better off than the ream GMs for those holdout players. The real GMs get nothing. No value in the holdout players. Ours do. For weeks early in the season they continue that strong old grade, but not forever and not without any new information and after missing huge amounts of time and being away for long stretches. Some of those guys haven't played in 10 months in any way (no camp, no games, no nothing). So we just don't automatically assume forever that they are exactly the same as old previous grades or that they never change or wouldn't be rusty at all the moment they get back onto the field -- and just update them based upon madden's new value assigned when they do demonstrate current abilities.

Also mentioned that if Madden didn't update that we'd have to look into an update ourselves. I fully expect madden to pay some attention to how former highly rated players coming back to the game perform and have some opinion on that value. If they don't, though, we'll make that adjustment ourselves as mentioned. We don't do it much anymore because I just can't, but there have since the beginning been some procedures in place to look at grades (and even nominate cases of odd grading to take another look at) and make our own adjustments periodically. Especially in this odd year with more high profile holdouts than usual, if Madden completely ignores these high profile players with some uncertainty about how they'd get back to the game and perform (unlikely I would think), we'd certainly need to address that ourselves. But it is my hope and expectation that we won't need to do something special, but just go along with the updated value I would expect to be coming once those guys are actually on the field and judgements made about their current abilities coming back.

In some cases, we don't know the actual grade in the game now or that a grade from months and months ago is what they use in the game now. We may need to in some specific circumstances get a couple guys with the equipment verify that within the game itself for controversial cases if we decide that madden is igoring the player in published updates and we need to update ourselves.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office