Potential Future Rule Change

redsoxfan31x21

Re: Potential Future Rule Change

Post by redsoxfan31x21 »

maybe then instead of setting an exact number of wins, say if you dont get 8-10 in 3 years, then you have a small committee or something that can determine if the owner is good for the league or should be ''fired'' and thatll be how we decide so if the owner doesnt meet the number they aren't automatically fired.
Franchise Record - 47-39 (3-3 playoffs)
'10 - 12-4 - AFC West Champs - 1-1 Playoffs
'11 - 14-2 - AFC West Champs - #1 AFC seed - 1-1 Playoffs - AFC Title Loss
'12 - 11-5 - AFC Wild Card - 1-1 playoffs
'13 - 2-14
'14 - 5-11
Onyxgem

Post by Onyxgem »

redsoxfan31x21 wrote:maybe then instead of setting an exact number of wins, say if you dont get 8-10 in 3 years, then you have a small committee or something that can determine if the owner is good for the league or should be ''fired'' and thatll be how we decide so if the owner doesnt meet the number they aren't automatically fired.
I would defiantly be against owners getting together and deciding the fate of another owner...that would just be bad idea all around.
whteshark

Post by whteshark »

Onyxgem wrote:
redsoxfan31x21 wrote:maybe then instead of setting an exact number of wins, say if you dont get 8-10 in 3 years, then you have a small committee or something that can determine if the owner is good for the league or should be ''fired'' and thatll be how we decide so if the owner doesnt meet the number they aren't automatically fired.
I would defiantly be against owners getting together and deciding the fate of another owner...that would just be bad idea all around.
Yeah, me too. I would have been canned a long time ago :).
Regular Season: 161-79-1
Playoff Appearances: 10 of 16
Division Titles: 9
Conference Titles: 5
Playoffs: 17-7
AFFL Bowls: 3-2

AFFL Bowl I Winner
AFFL Bowl IV Winner
AFFL Bowl VIII Winner
Ben C.

Post by Ben C. »

I am against any sort of subjective determination. For me, it is either a set number of wins over a given period of time, or we let anybody who remains active (defined as showing up for roll calls when Troy does them) stay regardless of performance of their team.

I simply don't trust people to remain objective when judging the performance of a rival GM.
AFFL Arizona - General Manager
Regular Season Record - 174-66-1
Playoff Record - 13-12
AFFL Bowl Record - 0-2

2x NFC Champions - 2010, 2016
11x NFC West Champions - 2007-12, 2014-15, 2017-18, 2021
AFFL History
Dustin S.

Post by Dustin S. »

i know i'm not an orginial, btu since i came in here, i've enjoyed it, and all the people in here. i dont want to lose guys like sooner, ben, jared bc their teams underachieve. i dont want troy to lose his team and only go into running the league, how would that work

im for this idea,i like it, but i think there needs to be mroe thought put into this. gms canget fired in the nfl if they take their teams from like 2 wins to 5 to 8 and stay at 8 for 3seasons, i could see a gm gettin fired for not improving his team past 8 wins if they were stuck their for 3 seasons. im in affl in cffl, but i knowin affl i'm stuck in a division with nyg and dallas. i won 10 games thi year. it was 6 the year before. what if i win 10 again next year. then i dip to 8, am i going to lose my team bc im in strong divison with two other teams that will also find ways to imporve. what if after 8 i got back up 10? does that save me? what if injuries, like losing roethlisbeger cause me to go from 8 to 7. i dont want to lose my team bc i hate 1 bad injury and i play in a tough division. i'm going to try to compete, and its not like i havent ever tried to. i dumped players last season, but i i did it to go nuts in this offseason. jared dumped his idea team, but he does it all for the pics, and he will set for years to come

i think theres a difference between gettin a win limit and not trying. like i said, im constnatly trying to imporve my team. if i go down in wins, its not because i dindt TRY to make my team better. i dont think i should be fired because i tried and it failed. if i wasnt trying, if i wasnt checking, if i dumped players, if i didnt vote in polls, then ya, fire me. but i do all of that, and if i dip next season from 10 to 9 or 8 or 7 wins, ull have to drag me out of this league kicking and screaming.
AFFL Philadelphia Eagles GM
2008- 10-6, 0-1
2009- 6-10
2010- 10-6
2011- 12-4, 1-1
2012- 7-9
CFFL Arizona Cardinals GM
2010- 8-8
2011- 5-11
2012- 9-7
whteshark

Post by whteshark »

I think what Ben is suggesting is great. I think we need a minimum standard that teams should maintain in order to make the league more competitive. Averaging 10 wins every three years is not hard.

I took over the Lions in DFFL for one season after their 0-16 season. I cut or traded about 90 percent of the team, drafted, signed FA's, and went 7-9. Guys like Jared and Oynx aren't going anywhere because they're smart GM's and quite active and could turn those teams around in one season.

Sooner went from 1-15 to 15-1 and a Championship win the next year.

I think a minimum standard would help GM's strike a balance between keeping players and stocking draft picks. You would need enough good players to at least win a few games but could still rebuild through the draft.

And there are a few GM's who are absentee landlords in my opinion. This would be a great way to weed them out and find GM's who are more active.
Regular Season: 161-79-1
Playoff Appearances: 10 of 16
Division Titles: 9
Conference Titles: 5
Playoffs: 17-7
AFFL Bowls: 3-2

AFFL Bowl I Winner
AFFL Bowl IV Winner
AFFL Bowl VIII Winner
Nathan S.

Post by Nathan S. »

Despite being a GM with two teams that aren't doing real well, I'm all for Ben's suggestion. Both teams I came into weren't in very good situations to start and need some work to get to where I want them to be.

In the first year of the AFFL I took a TB team that wasn't very talented and managed us to a conference title game before losing to Dallas or someone I can't remember. At that point we were already really old with Brooks, Barber, and the DL past their prime. I had to take the franchise apart and try to rebuild up. It's been long, but we're a FA away from being there. Injuries killed us this year, but all the youngsters should be upgraded next year and we will be a 8+ win team.

Denver on the other hand is a mess. At the beginning of the year I decided to go all in, just didn't have the resources. I made a dumb Rodgers trade, yes god awful - i'm an idiot, and got burned as a result. I really focus on my AFFL team and should put more work into this one, yet I think we can still be alright if we find some pieces.

I love this league and check it multiple times throughout the day. Hopefully next season things turn around for my two franchises and I get to stay as GM. I can't imagine not seeing TB on my homepage everyday. With that said I do agree with a couple things. 8 wins over 3 seasons and possibly a cap on the number of 1st round picks allowed per year.

Just my 2 cents
GM Tampa Bay Buccaneers - AFFL
Dan R.

Post by Dan R. »

I actually really like this rule, despite being one of the GMs who would be on the hot seat for next season (though I think getting 1 win is hardly a stretch to imagine).

Even if you make a mistake in drafting or trading (i.e. in a desperate reach for a starting QB, I drafted Jimmy Clausen #6 overall), it's really difficult not to win 10+ games over three years.

However, I do think that we might need a system of checks and balances. If a team simply has terrible luck with injuries but the team has improved in the three years and has the makings of a promising team, an appeal could be made to keep this owner for the next year in a probationary role, with a set number of wins needed to maintain ownership.
CFFL Houston Texans GM
Lifetime Record - 41-23 (0-2 Postseason)
dinkatoid

Post by dinkatoid »

Dan R. wrote:I actually really like this rule, despite being one of the GMs who would be on the hot seat for next season (though I think getting 1 win is hardly a stretch to imagine).

Even if you make a mistake in drafting or trading (i.e. in a desperate reach for a starting QB, I drafted Jimmy Clausen #6 overall), it's really difficult not to win 10+ games over three years.

However, I do think that we might need a system of checks and balances. If a team simply has terrible luck with injuries but the team has improved in the three years and has the makings of a promising team, an appeal could be made to keep this owner for the next year in a probationary role, with a set number of wins needed to maintain ownership.
This is more along the lines of what I was thinking. If you miss the mark by 1 game because you lost half your starting defense or 4+ wrs or some crazy stuff that happens, that might be understandable.
CFFL - Cheifs
AFBL - San Antonio Spurs
Shagg

Post by Shagg »

If your active and you participate why should you be gone for having fun with the team you inherited. I think it's a crappy idea and really what is the point? Your going to have bad teams and good teams. Punishing owners who are active is stupid imo. Of course this could be looked upon as bias as I haven't had a winning record yet. Still the threat of being booted from the league is a bit unnerving. I look forward to this every season starting with the draft it makes the year go by much quicker, no way I will resubmit my name if I'm released from duties to take on another team in 2 or 3 seasons. The possibility of losing good active owners doesn't fly with me.
E.G.K
Detroit Lions General Manager-AFFL
MSN Messenger:AFFLDetroitLions@hotmail.com:
YIM: shagg07