2011 RULES: Draft or Wait

How should the labor issues impact our sim draft?

Keep it real. April draft. Can't trade players, but only swap picks like NFL currently.
42%
Wait. Hold off draft until we know more about our salary cap and new rules, then hold draft allowing players to be dealt for picks.
18%
Forget labor issues, allow trades of either players or picks without limitation and without salary cap consideration knowing cap changes could be coming later pending NFL agreement.
38%
Other Suggestions (post below)
2%

Total votes: 50

Goodell

2011 RULES: Draft or Wait

Post by Goodell »

We get into rules discussions every off-season prior to free agency. I like to keep things based upon reality here as much as we can as a general principle (putting you in the real GM's shoes), but sometimes we make adjustments based upon our different circumstances.

Because of the NFL labor issues, I think we might need to be more patient with rules discussions this off-season as new NFL rules are hopefully on the way which we'd have to take a hard look at if those also work for us in keeping that realism. I don't think an agreement is immediately around the corner, though.

But the DRAFT is. The NFL is going ahead with the player selection process, but under some new restraints given the situation. As I understand it, teams will be able to trade picks, but NOT players. So you couldn't trade a disgruntled or backup QB for a 2nd rounder or anything in reality. There is no labor agreement and no cap to even measure new transactions against.

We could:

- Keep it real, no player trades but able to swap draft picks to move around the draft like real teams. Hold our draft in April just like the real NFL under that unique situation.

- Wait. Hold our draft once we have definition of the new salary cap rules and allowing teams to trade players for picks.

- Altered reality. Allow our sim teams to trade players despite not knowing what our salary cap will be if we are going to take our cues from the NFL once they have a new aggreement.

Also open to other suggestions. Thanks.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
Jared A

Re: 2011 RULES: Draft or Wait

Post by Jared A »

As always, I'm going to put in my two cents.

If the "keep it real" option is leading, I'd like to change my vote to allow trading players and picks.

But, I believe we should wait until the smoke clears to hold the draft. I'm not very hopeful that a labor agreement will come to fruition prior to the April draft. But, we have zero clue right now if there will be a rookie payscale or what it'd be. While, in real life, owners have a pretty good idea what it'll be.
sportznut

Post by sportznut »

I understand how the uncertainity can make a lot of things be up in the air, but I don't see how it should affect the draft at all.

I believe we should continue forward with the draft as always, with the option of trading players and picks just like before.

I'm all for putting everything else on hold, but everyone knows how the old system worked, with the rookies out of whack. Its either going to stay the same (unlikely), or change for the better.

Not only that, but everyone will have an entire offseason to move guys around if need be, and hold that player's rights for a year.

We can't really start rules discussions or especially free agency without knowing the cap situation, but with the NFL doing the real draft without delay, so should we.
AFFL- Raiders
MLBSA- Tigers
WLSB- Marlins
Shagg

Post by Shagg »

I voted to let us trade players and picks, but I'm sure you all could have figured that out :D
E.G.K
Detroit Lions General Manager-AFFL
Jared A

Post by Jared A »

I think we would need to decide what the RFA's are if we were to open up trading.

I can't believe I'm the only one that thinks we should "wait"...
chiefbrody

Post by chiefbrody »

I voted for "Wait". I would rather see where players are drafted before I draft.
Denver Broncos - AFFL
larry linke

Post by larry linke »

I voted to keep it real. This is probably the reason why this league is the best of any league that I play in. I have a concern with the "wait" option. What are waiting for? If we wait until the CBA is settled, there is a possibility that could be in September, and we, along with the commissioner, will have plenty to deal with in a short period of time.

Larry
Minnesota
sportznut

Post by sportznut »

chiefbrody wrote:I voted for "Wait". I would rather see where players are drafted before I draft.
We've always waited at least one day if not a week after the draft gets going. So, we always know who goes where by the time we start drafting.

That's not what the wait option was intended for at all.
AFFL- Raiders
MLBSA- Tigers
WLSB- Marlins
sportznut

Post by sportznut »

Jared A wrote:I think we would need to decide what the RFA's are if we were to open up trading.

I can't believe I'm the only one that thinks we should "wait"...
We could resolve RFAs, or not resolve it, but it still has no bearing on trading.

We know that franchise tags are being used, and we know that everyone that was supposed to be a RFA, is one still.

What could potentially change, is some of those RFAs could actually become UFAs.

Again, if you have each team follow the same guidelines that the NFL currently is, there's no reason to hold up the draft at all in my opinion.

Just my .02
AFFL- Raiders
MLBSA- Tigers
WLSB- Marlins
chiefbrody

Post by chiefbrody »

I misread the wording of the options. I would like to change my vote to "keeping it real".
Denver Broncos - AFFL