Thursday Night Games

Goodell

Thursday Night Games

Post by Goodell »

We start the Thursday night games this week on November 10. I usually lock the depth charts at the start of the NFL games for a particular week, so will likely be locking the depth charts early on Thursday nights now. Teams can still send me depth chart changes in PM involving players who weren't on the field yet for the upcoming weekend games. I'll see about something more involved where it only locks guys from real teams playing Thursday, but in the short-term just be aware that we'll lock the depth charts earlier during these weeks with Thursday night games. I already have injuries for week 9 and the bye week averages loaded, so hoping to upload game data tonight/tomorrow and sim week 9 tomorrow so that GMs will have time to adjust their depth charts if desired while unlocked. Thanks
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
Goodell

Re: Thursday Night Games

Post by Goodell »

Didn't get it done as quickly as hoped this week, but week 9 simmed. Depth charts unlocked until the NFL game Thursday night. If you don't get to your depth charts on Thursday for changes, you can PM me any that haven't played yet this week.
Onyxgem

Post by Onyxgem »

Are we going to get any chance this week to make changes to our DC's? With games starting tomorrow afternoon was just curious.
Nathan S.

Post by Nathan S. »

Onyxgem wrote:Are we going to get any chance this week to make changes to our DC's? With games starting tomorrow afternoon was just curious.
I would like Tampa Bay's DC to be McCoy, Vereen, Kuhn at HB this week. Post was prior to Thursday games. Thanks!
GM Tampa Bay Buccaneers - AFFL
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Teams can make depth chart changes any time. As it says at the bottom of that page when locked:

Depth Charts will be locked just before first NFL games each week. Send PM to Goodell for manual changes involving players who haven't played yet this week only.

It is sometimes going to be very difficult to get everything done in these short weeks. Always tough when these Thursday night games start.

I know it's not ideal to not be able to change them in the usual form, but every baseball sim league I am in I have to update an excel spreadsheet on my PC and email that attachment in. Here it's just a PM to me with whatever you want to modify if the depth charts are locked still.

Unfortunately it's been crammed this week at work with a lot to get done, less days and staff. Injuries have been updated. Gathered some of the stats for bye week team averages, and some of the game stats. Hoping to have them simmed before the NFL games on Thanksgiving, but of course have family stuff too on the holiday.

If they aren't simmed and depth charts unlocked, teams can STILL make changes for the upcoming games ahead, though. Just send me a PM if you want to change something but cannot. It doesn't take too much for me to modify depth chart changes sent. You can change the depth chart involving anyone who hasn't played yet, meaning if you want to change something involving two players being swapped who are playing on Sunday, you have until their games start to send those as late as Sunday (even if depth charts locked on Thursday).

Sometime hopefully we'll have a better automated system or be able to crank out the results faster, but just lots of information every week (NFL transactions for IR, injury status lists, grade updates, bye week averages, and gameday stats for every game) plus simming 48 games one at a time (and checking 96 different team depth charts to ensure eligible players used and zeroing out any player duplicates entered, etc.) across the leagues sometimes takes more time than I have. But that shouldn't ever prevent teams from being able to make depth chart changes. It's not quite as convenient when locked, but you can send in an eligible change any time just want to make sure everyone knows that.

Always PM them to my Goodell account as I can keep track of everything best in one place, and mark them off when done and not have to search for sent changes in different places.
Nathan S.

Post by Nathan S. »

My bad Goodell, I didn't see that.

No need to rush things if you are busy.
GM Tampa Bay Buccaneers - AFFL
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Sorry, obviously falling behind with the holidays. We'll try to crank weeks 15 & 16 out here early this week as we get ready for the playoffs. As always, as noted at the bottom of the depth chart page, if it's locked (as it will be when we're behind) just send me a PM and I'll update your depth chart as instructed prior to simming for that week. Changes can only be made for players who haven't played yet, so a change sent today would be made before we sim our week 17 (which NFL players haven't played and we don't know their results yet).

I believe there may be more Thursday games coming in future seasons earlier, so definitely going to have to look at something to help keep up and crank our versious out sooner. Thanks for your patience, and hope everyone had a happy holidays.
paulco

Post by paulco »

Goodell wrote:We'll try to crank weeks 15 & 16 out here early this week as we get ready for the playoffs.

Any update on this?
Paul Cogan
AFFL Jacksonville Jaguars
CFFL Seattle Seahawks
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Sorry, holidays and unexpected work kicking my butt, but ran week 15 tonight and will be tackling week 16 tomorrow. Had one of my scheduled days off turn into an early phone call about a problem I had to spend all day fixing, and did a lot more with a college football bowl game early this week than planned (work with an alumni association).
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Week 16 is done now also. Caught up finally. Depth charts are... unlocked! Until tomorrow's games start.

With the last week of the season, we'll also turn off free agency for the post-season and not re-open it until March/April free agency starts. So get any signings you want done now. Let's say we'll close FA at the end of the day on Friday. A couple of points on that:

- Your practice squad guys if they remain without contract will be free agents in the off-season, but you will have their rights for unlimited bidding advantage.

- I think some guys who should have gotten a grade hit for not being with a team this year (so not being adjusted by madden) escaped that with some older roster info, so I'm going to try to re-examine those cases that for the playoffs.

- Cutting or putting guys on IR right now doesn't help with finances, as you've paid them most of their salary already and have to also pay a replacement (either an empty cap charge or new player signed). With being behind and holidays, not been able to address some financial situations, but will be having those teams borrow against next year for the amount over this week to have everyone back under. Contact me (if not already) if other issues there.