2012 RULES: Long-Term Contract Details

Do you support the new LTC option as proposed?

YES
11%
YES - for now but with some questions and need to revisit again next year.
23%
NO - support LTC option, but not this way. Let's discuss it further before implementing.
No votes
NO - don't support LTC options.
No votes
LTC generated prices are just right.
23%
LTC generated prices are way too high.
9%
LTC generated prices are way too low.
1%
Limit LTC for player to once in his career.
10%
Limit LTC for player to once per team, if traded can be LTC'd by someone else too.
8%
No limits for times a team can LTC a player.
15%

Total votes: 91

Goodell

Re: 2012 RULES: Long-Term Contract Details

Post by Goodell »

Goodell wrote:That becomes a big deal possibly in cases where a team maybe wants to get trade value for a pending free agent, signs them to a short LTC with less SB, then immediately trades the player for value. If we limit LTC to only once in a career, that player can only be LTC'd that one time and not by his new team. I kind of like that total LTC limit to one per career (as well as one per team per year) to prevent that from being rampant, but teams looking to trade for such players recently LTC'd might disagree.
As we get closer to the season, have a feeling we could see lots of players LTC'd and traded. As I mentioned above, and will put in a last arguement for that, one deterant would be my initially proposed one LTC per player's career. That way if a team did a short LTC to have a smaller SB and trade the guy, the new team would only have a short-term contract and no option to LTC again (would have to tag at NFL elite prices or try to sign on the market). If a new team wanted to trade for a guy on a longer deal, they'd have to LTC to a 5-year at 200% SB and pay a lot more in cap hit.

I was asked about no-trade for a year or something, and as mentioned in the first post it's a possibility but best I can tell (as we saw with the jets signing a QB one week and trading him the next) doesn't seem to be real and would have to be an artificial intentional difference and split from NFL rules. I'd prefer a limit on LTC instead since LTC is our own creation and not going against real NFL rules and realistic also that a player would want to test the market by nature and perhaps willing to do a contract extension once in his career.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
Leb

Post by Leb »

I would prefer at least a 2-year trade restriction on anyone LTC'd. It prevents signing the smallest option to trade easily and mirrors reality. If a player signs a contract extension he and the team fully expect him to stay around for a while. If a player wants moved he will test the market and if a team wants to move a player they will just tag him and have him work out the extension with the new team. Additionally a lot of times in these extensions there are trade clauses built in that prevent trades.
Philadelphia AFFL
Regular season record 84-46
S10, S12, S15 NFC East Champs

Washington DFFL
Regular season record 165-61
S5, S6, S7, S8, S10, S11, S12, S13, S14 NFC East Champs
S8 DFFL Champs
chiefbrody

Post by chiefbrody »

I'm not against a sign and trade as it happens in pro sports, and teams must eat a signing bonus.
Denver Broncos - AFFL