2012 Season Update

Goodell

2012 Season Update

Post by Goodell »

We are underway for the 2012 season... at least in a limited fashion. Look for more and more features to become available throughout the week into next.

Right now teams can only make cuts. I'm still working on some of the other functionality to be ready for the new year. If any transaction isn't being recorded correctly, let me know as some of the programming could still need to be adjusted for the new season if not putting finances in the right spots for the new year.

A couple reminders on cuts. It is best not to cut an unrestricted free agent (UFA), as you'd lose your unlimited bidding rights if interested in trying to sign that player. You'd also lose any possible compensatory picks associated with another team signing that player.

For a reminder on the basics, if you cut a player with signing bonus left (SB left) that translates into a CAP HIT. That's guaranteed money you have to account for. You have to either eat all that SB left this year, or can split it over 2 seasons. As it's before June 1st, you only get 2 players you can choose to split the cap hit for either cuts/trades. After June 1st you can split as many as you want.

About openings... I have mentioned the AFFL candidates to the other GMs and hope to have a decision early this week. Some of the general choices with the most support also mirror some of my thinking so hope to move on those soon and get the new GMs also up and running early this week at that time.

Tagging/RFAs/LTC will be the next thing turn on this week and then trades perhaps this upcoming weekend. I need to update the full rosters still this week and update years of service, etc. Free agency potentially sometime the following week.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
soonertf

Re: 2012 Season Update

Post by soonertf »

I assume we will be pushing draft back some then? Don't think it's a big deal, since the period after draft to start of season is so dead anyway.
AFFL - Dallas Cowboy's GM
Regular Season Record - 109-72
Playoff Record - 12-4
AFFL Bowl Record - 3-0

3x AFFL Champions - 2009, 2011, 2018
3x NFC Champions - 2009, 2011, 2018
6x NFC East Champions - 2007, 2009-13
Onyxgem

Post by Onyxgem »

soonertf wrote:I assume we will be pushing draft back some then? Don't think it's a big deal, since the period after draft to start of season is so dead anyway.
I am hoping we don't
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

We usually are right after the real draft (as we use the real NFL order as our default for those missing picks), but we'll have a poll on draft date preferences soon. We'll have options for immediately after or a slight delay to allow more time for FA finishing up and schedules. http://www.fangm.com/sportstalk/viewtop ... 7617#p7616
soonertf

Post by soonertf »

Any timeline updates yet?
Playoff Record - 12-4
AFFL Bowl Record - 3-0

Goodell

Post by Goodell »

There are still some team situations to figure out with some people wanting to switch, or possibly finding some ways to get the last wait list guys into a new team that I've been discussing.

Still working on the new LTC option and doing a full datase update of player stats for updated years of experience, etc. as that all effects free agency and what teams do with tagging.

Just because so many are already having trade discussions, probably will turn trades on as planned this weekend as nothing new about that unlike some of our other processes that have some new changes in them this year to still finish programming in.

As there won't be anything for months and months after the draft, I'm probably more okay in spacing things out a bit but I know people are chomping at the bit so we'll continue pushing to get there soon. This week was hectic at work as had to get a lot done before traveling to a conference next week, and trying to figure some of the ongoing team situations at night to ensure we have the right people in place before starting and that we try to get as many new guys in place. Big new changes with LTC that I want to get right and require a large bit of programming before free agency but getting closer there. I do see some daylight ahead to finish a lot of things off with the weekend plus no work for much of next week other than walking some exhibit floor shows during the day that should allow lots of time otherwise to work un-interupted on my own.

Trades as soon as tomorrow as planned. Hopefully finishing up new LTC changes and some settings for free agency also later this weekend. Free agency certainly is a bit delayed and draft certainly might be later as well. I think last year it was in mid-May. Once we know the free agency start date we'll talk more about the draft start date. If people are worried about other events they have, definitely ADD them to the off-season schedule items here ( http://www.fangm.com/sportstalk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=681 ). We have a very long off-season ahead and although we can't accomodate everyone will take dates into consideration especially if they effect multiple leagues/teams.
soonertf

Post by soonertf »

I don't have any issues having in pushed back to mid-may or even June. Just don't want to rush things and have it stacked on top of each other.
Playoff Record - 12-4
AFFL Bowl Record - 3-0

soonertf

Post by soonertf »

Perhaps have FA start April 21st and Draft start May 12th. That would give use 3 full weeks of Free Agency. However, I am open to anything. I know it can't be easy with all the changes we're making this season.
Playoff Record - 12-4
AFFL Bowl Record - 3-0

Goodell

Post by Goodell »

soonertf wrote:I don't have any issues having in pushed back to mid-may or even June. Just don't want to rush things and have it stacked on top of each other.
Yeah, people want to get started (and me too) but I think once trades are allowed people can start doing more of that team building. I don't mind them being pushed back either myself as not much happening for months after. It does make sense as you say to not have things stacked upon each other. Once we know more about FA start, we'll put up a poll on draft day preferences.
kevinl

Post by kevinl »

Noo to May 12th for start of draft!