Trade Committee

Nathan S.

Re: Trade Committee

Post by Nathan S. »

So I would usually keep my mouth shut about trades but this one is ridiculous and needs to be overturned.

• TRADE ANNOUCEMENT: STL receives: | Graham, Shayne |
CAR receives: | | 2012 2 PIT (2012-04-17) »

By the way, I'm not even in the CFFL so this is completely unbiased.

EDIT: If hoopie sent it to Ritz then I guess it's fair play and I owe an apology to Ritz - sorry :D
Last edited by Nathan S. on Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GM Tampa Bay Buccaneers - AFFL
soonertf

Post by soonertf »

Does Graham even kick anymore?
Last edited by soonertf on Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AFFL - Dallas Cowboy's GM
Regular Season Record - 109-72
Playoff Record - 12-4
AFFL Bowl Record - 3-0

3x AFFL Champions - 2009, 2011, 2018
3x NFC Champions - 2009, 2011, 2018
6x NFC East Champions - 2007, 2009-13
Nathan S.

Post by Nathan S. »

soonertf wrote:Does Graham even kick anymore?
Nope - Baltimore waived him for Cundiff rotoworld says.
Ritz Blitz

Post by Ritz Blitz »

Yes Hoopie sent it to me. A buddy of mine have been talking about this for a while now. For the record I am an advocate of NOT taking advangatage of a new GMs. It's ironic cause it's been a pretty big topic of conversation latley.

After the trade I immeditly pmed the commish and asked for the opinion of another Gm on chat.

If this trade gets over turned fine but wouldn't only be fair to look at the last few trades other gms have made with the new guy?
Jared A

Post by Jared A »

This is not a productive conversation, and in my opinion, is not a road we should go down.

There's several trades in all the leagues that I personally believe to be totally lopsided. The GM's on either side shouldn't be called out publicly. If you have an issue with a trade, PM the individuals involved in the trade or Goodell.

If it's a new GM, pm him and be helpful rather than critical.
Nathan S.

Post by Nathan S. »

I just wanted to apologize to Ritz for what I said. It was a spur of the moment thing and I realize I should have PM'd him first to get the whole story. I've talked to him since and it seems like things are cleared up. I've never been one for conflict on here and shouldn't have said anything.

I know he isn't someone who would try and take advantage of a new GM and my big mouth (well fingers) reacted to quickly to the situation.

So again, sorry Ritz.
Ritz Blitz

Post by Ritz Blitz »

No worries man appreiciate it. I'm fine with having the trade over turned.
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Conversation about new processes are great. Just FYI my initial plan is to have some kind of feedback mechanism on most areas of the site to assist me in cleaning things up or making corrections when needed. For trades might be some way of clicking on a trade that seems like it should be further reviewed and we'd have some kind of trigger that if so many people object it flags it to check into further. With so many leagues (and hopefully more to come) can't watch them all but need ways in the system for items to be brought to my attention.

When I first made something at fangm.com it was initially a way people could submit sports trade ideas and have people vote if realistic or fair from both sides. My very original thinking about this league would be integrating something like that with opinions of sim trades measured, and some really high bar of objection required to reject trades. May be some things we can look at further for either some automated processes or more human discussions. I'll be doing some other sports-related stuff in the near future I hope (perhaps something soon draft-related) and have some of those pointing more people here, and some of them could impact/improve some of the things we do hopefully.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
dinkatoid

Post by dinkatoid »

I have thought about this same thing. A perfect example of this (to me) would be if someone wanted a DFFL team, and I was leaving the DFFL (so I would not be competing with his team), so I stayed around for a year as a mentor to approve trades and answer questions on what is a good idea or not. We could then help transition from our strat to their strat without having them make the rookie mistake of doing what everyone thinks of doing, which is trading all talent for draft picks so they can pick 25 times in the draft. I feel this often leads to bombing for a year, then the players picks not panning out (as we all have learned, even "sure things" in the NFL draft are anything but), so they leave and stick some poor new guy with a horrible team. We could then have the mentor give a brief write up of the new guy (just generally was he active, seemed to be knowledgable, etc) so we knew he at least was trying.
CFFL - Cheifs
AFBL - San Antonio Spurs
Strategist

Post by Strategist »

I am not trying to call anyone out but would it be a terrible thing to have a probationary period. That kind of monitors new GMs just to see how they are doing. Like not bidding huge contracts on players that aren't even in the NFL anymore and things like that. I know I made some mistakes in FA and trades when I first started that I would never make now and it has to do more with inexperiece in the system then actual knowledge of football.

Maybe ask for volunteers for experienced GMs to provide feedback or be a sounding board to each new member.
DFFL - DAL 09-20: 113-63 .642 (6-5) 3X DIV Champs. 6 Playoff apps. DFFL Bowl I Champs
CFFL - NYG 10-12: 34-13-1 .708
AFFL - WAS 13-19: 53-59 .473 (5-3) '14, '15, & '17 Div, '17 AFC Champs
FFFL - PIT 16-17: 45-19 .703 (3-3) '16-18 Div, 16' AFC Champs