Roster Expansion?

Ryan R

Roster Expansion?

Post by Ryan R »

Report out that offseason rosters expanded from 80 to 90 starting tuesday - http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -80-to-90/

(this source among others..)

will our offseason limit go as high this year?
Troy S

Re: Roster Expansion?

Post by Troy S »

Ryan R wrote:Report out that offseason rosters expanded from 80 to 90 starting tuesday - http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -80-to-90/

(this source among others..)

will our offseason limit go as high this year?
I believe some requested we limit off-season rosters and there was some discussion about it in the past, but off the top of my head I don't think it currently limits the roster size in the off-season other than what the salary cap would constrain financially.

I actually intended to add off-season roster limits into the system (if they weren't already) based upon some previous discussion I think about if we did that we'd use the NFL numbers but when I searched for the official NFL limit there I came across similar information that the number had risen so it didn't seem like something so critical to add since the number was higher than what most do or could fit within the salary cap.

Technically my understanding is that the NFL uses that rule of 51 where they just count the highest 51 salaries against the cap during the off-season and allow you to have more bodies on the roster that don't go against the cap beyond those 51. I could see us talking about implementing that, but felt a little overly complicated and would have people's available cap figures jumping around much more than they do now factoring in all on the roster all times.

I'll take another look at it, but I believe the way things are now teams can have as many as they want in the off-season (if lots of "problems" with people going above the NFL limit we can look at implementing that) so long as they all fit within the salary cap, then they'd have to cut down to 53 like everyone before the season.
Royce R

Post by Royce R »

If we had the top 51 only count against the cap i'm sure most people would keep their rosters Fuller during the off season. Then cut day would be very fun for us with the waiver wire. Would be a nice addition
AFFL - Titans GM since 2007
96 - 62 - 2 regular season
6 playoff appearances
4 division titles
2 conference titles
1 AFFL title
Ben C.

Post by Ben C. »

Royce R wrote:If we had the top 51 only count against the cap i'm sure most people would keep their rosters Fuller during the off season. Then cut day would be very fun for us with the waiver wire. Would be a nice addition
I agree. I'm finding AFFL to be less fun this year because I'm not able to bring in additional players due to salary cap restraints. If I could be adding some fringe players at the league minimum, I'd be much more active there.
AFFL Arizona - General Manager
Regular Season Record - 174-66-1
Playoff Record - 13-12
AFFL Bowl Record - 0-2

2x NFC Champions - 2010, 2016
11x NFC West Champions - 2007-12, 2014-15, 2017-18, 2021
AFFL History
Ryan R

Post by Ryan R »

Ben C. wrote:
Royce R wrote:If we had the top 51 only count against the cap i'm sure most people would keep their rosters Fuller during the off season. Then cut day would be very fun for us with the waiver wire. Would be a nice addition
I agree. I'm finding AFFL to be less fun this year because I'm not able to bring in additional players due to salary cap restraints. If I could be adding some fringe players at the league minimum, I'd be much more active there.

i agree with both you guys agreeing - if we can only be charged with top 51 players salaries before cutdowns - that will give a bunch of teams room to be creative and not feel strapped for cash once you sign 5 players between 300k-500k hoping you can make them P-squad guys later...

any chance we can do this this year with the NFL expanding the roster - I know we like to reflect real NFL when we can..
Strategist

Post by Strategist »

How does the NFL work? I know they have 80 man rosters or whatever the limit. I do know they must always stay under the salary cap.
DFFL - DAL 09-20: 113-63 .642 (6-5) 3X DIV Champs. 6 Playoff apps. DFFL Bowl I Champs
CFFL - NYG 10-12: 34-13-1 .708
AFFL - WAS 13-19: 53-59 .473 (5-3) '14, '15, & '17 Div, '17 AFC Champs
FFFL - PIT 16-17: 45-19 .703 (3-3) '16-18 Div, 16' AFC Champs
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

RE: How does the NFL work?
The NFL uses that Rule of 51 during the off-season above.

Don't know about changing things after we've already started as would also require some programming changes. Cap figures would REALLY jump around quite a bit if we used the NFL rule there as it would have to re-figure the cap space based upon sorting top 51 always (estimating cap space of transactions could be very tricky as some of them wouldn't impact it at all or maybe part of a trade impacts part of the top 51 and another part of the trade doesn't, etc.), and then at season start we wouldn't look at 51 any more but 53. So things to look at there still before changing, but it's possible someday to bring in that realism. I think we had polls on that before with some mixed results but many okay moving to a more realistic top 51 system but was just too complex and headed into NFL lockout rules changes around the time of that poll I believe so tabled to later.

If a new league is created later this summer, some of the changes needed for a system more like that could be worked on then to eventually move toward.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
Jared A

Post by Jared A »

We've had this discussion before, and it seemed like most of the league didn't like being able to have 70+ people on your roster until August. Seems like teams without cap problems would be at a disadvantage.
hoopie44641

Post by hoopie44641 »

Go by how NFL does it.
EFFL- Baltimore Ravens overall record 11-6
2023 11-6 WC

CFFL- Detroit Lions overall record 5-29
2023 3-14
2022 2-15

CFFL - ST.Louis Rams: Overall record 59-85
2012 -220 WC 2017 DC 2020
Royce R

Post by Royce R »

Jared A wrote:We've had this discussion before, and it seemed like most of the league didn't like being able to have 70+ people on your roster until August. Seems like teams without cap problems would be at a disadvantage.

How would they be at a disadvantage?
AFFL - Titans GM since 2007
96 - 62 - 2 regular season
6 playoff appearances
4 division titles
2 conference titles
1 AFFL title