Fans on the Clock

Goodell

Fans on the Clock

Post by Goodell »

A couple days ago I mentioned some draft-related additional activities could be activated soon. I've added a new link from the FanGM homepage, and you'll also see if on the draft queue along with links to more information on potential draft picks.

I've had the domain fansontheclock.com for nearly 5 years now and was in my original FanGM plans to have some GM skills games for all as well as the sports simulation leagues, where people could participate even if there wasn't a current team opening. It would also allow us to test some of the potential new GMs to see them in action prior to handing over a team.

Right now the Fans on the Clock options are limited. It basically allows you to give feedback on NFL draft pick selections as well as entering in what player you would have picked instead. The idea is this would be a way to test GM drafting skills over the long-term. Your favorite team picked Player X, but you think that's a horrible decision with Player Y still on the board. So you enter into a tracking system that you'd have gone Player Y instead and the game will track who was "right" long-term (at least according to player grades). It'll also measure your picks and opinions about picks against other fans of that team.

Entering in your own draft big board based upon your talent ranking will also be part of that, but haven't added that yet due to the league drafts and not wanting that to tip off league competition. In fact, right now if you enter any comments about real drat picks or who you would have picked instead, it will keep that anonymous until after our league drafts, but will record the FanGM activity for long-term evaluation and GM skill ranking.

There's also more I will turn on there for: charts and graphs of all the draft opinion data, FanGM draft profiles with comments and alternate picks with ability to give feedback on those, draft pick grade and opinion tracking over time, and a draft game where you can pick the player who you think will be the best from each round (as well as 3 undrafted free agents) to give you a squad of 10 draftees to track over time and see who picks the best as their careers develop.

The great thing about this league and draft games is we can be more long-term than most draft games. Our players have sim teams and will stick around for many years for the most part to truly test draft picking skills the only way you really can over the years. We won't really know who the best picks are in the NFL or here until their careers play out.

Let me know if you have any questions. I do have some concerns about not wanting this new draft activity to cause problems with the league drafts, so have taken some steps there. But if you are very concerned about not tipping off your 7th round sleepers to others, probably best not to enter your Fans on the Clock feedback for those late round players until after your league draft picks.

The hope is games like this (and hopefully other GM skill testing challenges) will give our participants even more to do throughout the year and allow us to bring in more potential league players with activity they can jump into immediately as they await an opening.

Let me know if any feedback, problems, or other ideas as we expand into some of the original plans for allowing serious fans to live their dream online as we put them into the shoes of a sports franchise general manager. Thanks!

Have fun!
http://www.fangm.com/fansontheclock/
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office