Number of plays per game...

jmondo

Number of plays per game...

Post by jmondo »

I know the current "in" stat is plays per game...but our software seems to take that to the extreme...

Case in point...

The CFFL Super Bowl this year had the Steelers running 84 plays and the Cowboys running 79

And that probably was just an average game....that is grossly higher than even a Philadephia Eagles team in the current NFL
Goodell

Re: Number of plays per game...

Post by Goodell »

jmondo wrote:I know the current "in" stat is plays per game...but our software seems to take that to the extreme...

Case in point...

The CFFL Super Bowl this year had the Steelers running 84 plays and the Cowboys running 79

And that probably was just an average game....that is grossly higher than even a Philadephia Eagles team in the current NFL

Thanks. We'll take a look there and perhaps adjust our time per play range.

Sometimes that can lead to more complaints, though, about not enough of a team's players getting their stats if the number of plays go down.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
jerrydlux

Post by jerrydlux »

Sometimes that can lead to more complaints, though, about not enough of a team's players getting their stats if the number of plays go down.[/quote]

I dont think there would be a very strong complaint though. This is fantasy/simulation but a team would not have Adrian Peterson and Marshawn Lynch in real life and then also have a qb throw 35 times per game. One of them would not get their stats. I am not sure how the software works but is there a set range of carries each rb gets? Like #1 on depth chart gets between 18-25 (this could be set by figuring whatever full time starter had the most carries and whatever full time starter had the least carries and using their average number of carries per game as the range). Then #2 gets 8-12 per game and #3 gets 3-6....or whatever you come up with.

this may also help with managing teams. In my fantasy scenario above with AP and Lynch on the same team, would a GM really pay them the money they command for one of them to only get 8-12 carries per game?

Also, something I thought of while typing this, is there a way for us to designate what type of team we would like to be? Either choosing to be a running team, passing team, 4-3 defense, 3-4 defense. Either committing to what we want to be before the preseason or having an option to switch every few weeks? The only reason I see to switch would be for major injury or trades.
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

jerrydlux wrote:Also, something I thought of while typing this, is there a way for us to designate what type of team we would like to be? Either choosing to be a running team, passing team, 4-3 defense, 3-4 defense. Either committing to what we want to be before the preseason or having an option to switch every few weeks? The only reason I see to switch would be for major injury or trades.
I might have to try to refer you to nearly decade-long ago conversations about the game setup there.

That doesn't really impact us at all how the game is generated. A team's defensive grade score is what gets factored in, and it's setup so that teams could have EITHER of those count among their Front-7 players generating the defensive strength score that'll impact other stats in the game simulator. In finding the top 7 grades for defensive strength score, it could be either 3 DL and 4 LBs or 4 DL ands 3 LBs. It'll pick the best front 7 no matter which of those and might change throughout the year depending upon top 7 defenders and their grades. The game simulator just needs to know the defensive strength value and it impacts the other stats input into it to determine if those offensive stats are going to be adjusted up or down depending upon defensive strength versus offensive line strength, etc.
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

RB carries are split up, but not in any pre-determined way. It doesn't start with the end in mind and work backwards. It starts at zero and works forward. The number of carries total isn't predetermined or set. It is changed greatly by game conditions, just as an NFL team might run much less if they fall way behind in a game and trying to catch up versus getting out to a huge lead and grinding out the clock more. On each snap, if a run determined to be the play, it looks at the depth chart and picks a runner based upon a wide variety of factors such as prioritizing the RB1 starter (especially on key plays), which runners have already reached their adjusted stats and which haven't, which players are the furthest from their attempt totals, which runners are the furthest from their yardage totals, etc. trying to work toward the adjusted stats input as it can one play at a time.
jmondo

Post by jmondo »

I'm not real interested in keeping realistic stats...

What worries me, however , is if that many plays are being run by both teams...
Actual games will be decided by sheer volume...

It's almost being simmed like every play has a stoppage of the clock. (I know that's not the case, but that is what it appears).

I saw a mid scoring game (25-24) in that range, where each team surpassed 90 plays... which is Exorbitant to say the least....and clearly might effect the outcome of games.
tjbarnaba

Post by tjbarnaba »

Pats week 1- 83 offensive snaps
SF week 2- 90 offensive snaps
HOU week 3- 90 offensive snaps
WAS week 4- 84 offensive snaps

It goes on like this every week, every game situation is different, so as long as the sim is keeping plays under 100, it should just stay as is
2023 AFFL Champ
2019 AFFL Champ
2018 CFFL Champ
2018 EFFL Champ