Sim Bugs

Jared A

Re: Sim Bugs

Post by Jared A »

That looks like a bug... one player shouldn't be averaged in 3 times out of the 6 required.
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Yeah, it's a problem in rare situations where a team just doesn't have enough healthy players to fill out the spots required. How we did team strength grades previously dealt with that and I thought the new way we do them now (with injuries adjusting the grade) also did that still but some slipping thru the cracks with the new method that I'll fix before the next sim.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
larry linke

Post by larry linke »

Here's another glitch. Marc Bulger goes 7 - 7 in a relief role in the NFL. The SIM then has him going 27 - 27, a perfect game, not one pass was defensed, not one dropped. This is all with me having a .03 advantage on the line. He did have a .03 advantage with the receiver.

I am still looking for a QB. I thought I had a deal with a team I shall not name on Wednesday but he has still not responded to me accepting his offer (I asked for salary cap help) oh well.

Larry
Minnesota
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

I thought there was something in there before for passes beyond the 7 in the update but obviously not working there as intended and will re-examine. thanks
sportznut

Post by sportznut »

This is the kind of stuff that can get on one's nerves:
2:28 | 1 and 10 @ 17 (17)... Maurice Jones-Drew runs for 5 yards (16-80yds | 5 ave:5).
1:49 | 2 and 5 @ 12 (12)... Incomplete pass.
1:39 | 3 and 5 @ 12 (12)... Incomplete pass..
1:33 | 4 and 5 @ 12 (12)...
Here's a 29 fieldgoal attempt... GOOD! 24 to 28
I am down a TD at the 12 yard line with 1:33 on the clock.

Why in the hell am I kicking a FG?

100 times out of a 100 I should be going for the 1st down/TD on that play.
AFFL- Raiders
MLBSA- Tigers
WLSB- Marlins
larry linke

Post by larry linke »

Last year with 30 seconds left, down 4, 4th and goal from the one, I kicked a field goal. Ended up missing the playoffs by one game. I feel your pain.

Larry
Minnesota
RyanM

Post by RyanM »

sportznut wrote:This is the kind of stuff that can get on one's nerves:
2:28 | 1 and 10 @ 17 (17)... Maurice Jones-Drew runs for 5 yards (16-80yds | 5 ave:5).

You have a lot of faith in your special teams to recover the on-side attempt?
Ryan McKnight
Seattle GM - AFFL
Seattle GM - EFFL
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

It's understandable and mostly a matter of putting more time into situational rules. I may have to have a couple people writing up different scenarios and decision making rule situations. There probably was a change in the code for that situation last year and boosted the rule up related to time left in the game. Maybe it was a boosted in terms of time left but not high enough. What's the "rule", though? Can't do it under 2 minutes? Under 5 minutes? If under 2 minutes and less than 3 yards to go, etc? But not if over 4 yards to go for the first, unless under 1 minute? Or 2 minutes? But if it happens at 2:01 probably angers the GM too. Or only if at the 15 yard line or better, unless less than 2 minutes left then if at 35 or better? Or always go for it if under 2 minutes and more than 3 down no matter how far the distance to convert? Or only kick it if over a minute and a half left under certain conditions of longer distance and timeouts left, etc. Or do one thing if on a winning team coasting and something else if a desperate team dying for a victory? There are lots of different variables for human decision making that would need to be added in more layers of complex decisions factoring several variables.

It would obviously be ideal to avoid problems like that (and have tried to hit on most of the basics but certainly not all yet), but probably requires a long list of different situations to consider in so many different scenarios to feed into the decision-making code. Right now there are quite a few of them but fairly basic and straight-forward only considering basic rules and only a couple variables.
sportznut

Post by sportznut »

RyanM wrote:

You have a lot of faith in your special teams to recover the on-side attempt?
You lost me there. If I go for the game tying TD, I either don't get it, and lose the game, or I do get it, and they get the ball or it goes to OT. Either way, there's no onside kick in either situation.
AFFL- Raiders
MLBSA- Tigers
WLSB- Marlins
sportznut

Post by sportznut »

Goodell wrote:

It's understandable and mostly a matter of putting more time into situational rules. I may have to have a couple people writing up different scenarios and decision making rule situations. There probably was a change in the code for that situation last year and boosted the rule up related to time left in the game. Maybe it was a boosted in terms of time left but not high enough. What's the "rule", though? Can't do it under 2 minutes? Under 5 minutes? If under 2 minutes and less than 3 yards to go, etc? But not if over 4 yards to go for the first, unless under 1 minute? Or 2 minutes? But if it happens at 2:01 probably angers the GM too. Or only if at the 15 yard line or better, unless less than 2 minutes left then if at 35 or better? Or always go for it if under 2 minutes and more than 3 down no matter how far the distance to convert? Or only kick it if over a minute and a half left under certain conditions of longer distance and timeouts left, etc. Or do one thing if on a winning team coasting and something else if a desperate team dying for a victory? There are lots of different variables for human decision making that would need to be added in more layers of complex decisions factoring several variables.

It would obviously be ideal to avoid problems like that (and have tried to hit on most of the basics but certainly not all yet), but probably requires a long list of different situations to consider in so many different scenarios to feed into the decision-making code. Right now there are quite a few of them but fairly basic and straight-forward only considering basic rules and only a couple variables.
Yeah, I get that there can be a wide variety of variables. Just a little frustration on my part. Some things aren't going to be cut and dry as to when one should go for it, and when they don't. I just felt in that situation there is no reason whatsoever I should even attempt a FG.
AFFL- Raiders
MLBSA- Tigers
WLSB- Marlins