sim question

RyanM

sim question

Post by RyanM »

LeSean McCoy had no carries in week 5 of the NFL, so I suspected his season average would be used (similar to a bye week) for simulation purposes - which would have been 8 carries for 42 yards. The update used 10 carries for 30 yards. Is this just the standard update used for a RB that has no carries in a game?

I highly doubt the extra few yards would have made a difference in the simulation result given other issues with my team (you suck, Brett Maher), but I was just wondering where that update came from.
Ryan McKnight
Seattle GM - AFFL
Seattle GM - EFFL
Goodell

Re: sim question

Post by Goodell »

We only calculate averaged games (and all the work that goes into that) for players on a bye. It's only somewhat doable because we can do full teams at a time downloading a full page of team stats and only a few teams on bye each week. So I can grab all the bye team's RBs from the team stats page, for example, and upload them as a group with their seasonal averages.

We upload all real-game stats for all non-bye players via game box scores they played in, and also separately calculate individual averages for all players who are on byes without box scores to upload those as their game update.

There are lots of players (backups for example) who have no attempts or catches or passes in their real games. If we had to calculate all the individual season averages for all players who played in real games but didn't get an attempt, we'd be calculating hundreds of individual averages every week across the league spotting them one-by-one and I'd have to do that 24/7 to even try to keep up with identifying all those players and individually calculating all their individual averages. So we only do that with players on bye teams and we only upload bye averages that are efficiently calculated from team stats.

When a QB has no passing attempts or a RB has no rushing attempts for whatever reason (bad game, benched, healthy scratch, inactive, less utilized, opponent shut them out, backup who didn't get in or starter being rested because his team clinched playoffs already), the system uses default updates based upon position and grade level.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office