QB centric

charlie813brown

QB centric

Post by charlie813brown »

I was wondering if there was a way to help updates by increasing skills players input, not just as versus what the other team has, but comparing their real team to their FanGM team.

IE. I have Reggie Wayne, who when Peyton Manning is throwing the ball, does amazing in real life, but with Curtis "OMG I'm a starting QB" Painter turding it up every week, Wayne has done poorer. Isn't Wayne's regression partly to blame for his crappy QB.

Or maybe a RB has a terrible line in the NFL, but has an amazing line in our league. Is this already in the coding or is it a realistic thing to consider and add?
Cory H
GM of Baltimore Ravens CFFL (Total - 43-53)
2008 - 5-11
2009 - 9-7
2010 - 10-6 (AFC Wild Card)
2011 - 10-6
2012 - 1-15 (Rebuilding year)
2013 - 8-8
Goodell

Re: QB centric

Post by Goodell »

charlie813brown wrote:I was wondering if there was a way to help updates by increasing skills players input, not just as versus what the other team has, but comparing their real team to their FanGM team.

IE. I have Reggie Wayne, who when Peyton Manning is throwing the ball, does amazing in real life, but with Curtis "OMG I'm a starting QB" Painter turding it up every week, Wayne has done poorer. Isn't Wayne's regression partly to blame for his crappy QB.

Or maybe a RB has a terrible line in the NFL, but has an amazing line in our league. Is this already in the coding or is it a realistic thing to consider and add?

For WRs, their grade is by far their biggest impact in the system I believe. I haven't been looking at him specifically to know how much his grade has been effected, but I'd think for the most part the graders would take that sitaution into consideration before drastically altering his grade. Their yards/catch help on the determination of a completion in the game, but the QB has much more impact on that as it works mostly toward the QB stats. If someone has a great QB like Brady but WRs with no catches in their updates, it's not going to limit Brady to no completions. Their low WR grades will hurt Brady's adjusted numbers, but if he's set to still make a ton of completions after the adjustment that'll matter the most to the sim as it works toward the QBs numbers and somebody's going to have to catch them.

For the RB/line question, at one point one year I did mention that I was going to try to add some context to the real life update stats (like whether the RB had those numbers behind a high grade or low grade OL and against what grade of defense) but my attempt at that proved more complex. Things like that, and pulling in other players beyond the limited depth chart, are increasingly possible now that I'm loading all NFL weekly data into the system and not just manually adding one player at a time as we did before for weekly update entry, but it's still something that would have to be done in a larger change to the game simulation scripts. But what you describe there with the RB/line is where I'd been wanting to go from the start with the adjustments that we do. We account for some of that, of course, by our sim GMs being able to help a RB by increasing the quality of his sim line. We do that in way that was doable when we started up, but some more complex adjustments possible someday.

Fore those new to the league or unsure how that all works, there is an adjustment calculation listed at the bottom of all game logs.

CRUNCHING THE NUMBERS: ADJUSTMENTS TO WEEKLY UPDATE STATS
Atlanta Offensive Line Grade (6.5) vs. Indianapolis Front Seven (7) = -0.5 in the trenches
Indianapolis Offensive Line (6.7) vs. Atlanta Front Seven (6.5) = 0.2 adjustments to running averages
Atlanta QB Completion % Impacts (x.1): WR (6.1) + OL (6.5) - Indianapolis F7 (7) - SEC (6.6) = -0.10
Indianapolis QB Completion % Impacts (x.1): WR (5.8) + OL (6.7) - Atlanta F7 (6.5) - SEC (7.1) = -0.11

In that case, meaning we reduce the average run per play of all ATL RBs by .5 yds/carry, and increase the yards per carry of IND RBs by .2 based upon the line differences. Both QBs have a large reduction to their real stats due to the quality of the opposing defense and secondary versus their offensive grades. If a sim team's OL and WRs had much higher grades than the opposing sim defense, then it would go the other way with a sim QBs stats boosted to better than his real numbers.

So, of course, we do make adjustments for having "an amazing line in our league", as is the incentive for teams building a quality team overall with good defensive and o-line grades (not just fantasy skill position players). How that sim line compares to the real line is something that's possible to make additional adjustments, but also is challenging (not just from programming but also absolutely needing to track every NFL player exactly for that comparison) and could possibly be overwhelming for players. But it's something that's definitely been thought about, and tried, and could be again in the future to add more context to the real stats inputted.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office