Simulation Testing for 2009

Goodell

Simulation Testing for 2009

Post by Goodell »

I wanted to start a thread where GMs could post different scenarios or problems with sim results last year that they wanted to test. Once DFFL activity up and going, I'm going to turn my attention to fine-tuning the simulator and getting some test results before we start the regular season.

A couple off the top of my head might be:

- Return touchdowns
- Results with incredibly weak defenses (CFFL playoff controversies)
- Split of RB carries
- QB TD/INT ratio adjustment
- Incorporation of real supporting cast consideration

For new players, just so you know we take real game stats for skill position players (QB, RB, WR, TE) just like fantasy stats, but then put them into a game simulator program where those performances are adjusted based upon the strength of your sim team's supporting cast as well as the strength of the opposing sim defense.

So if you have a RB who gets 100 yards and 4.0 average, and you have a great offensive line here and going up against a horrible sim defense that week, your RB will get a boost in performance from what he did in reality.

Here is a demo (just CFFL for now but will make league-variable in coming days):
http://www.fangm.com/football/fanulation_demo.php
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
Ben C.

Re: Simulation Testing for 2009

Post by Ben C. »

One thing that has been bugging me a little this offseason is the fact that it seems that when the QB throws a TD and none of the receivers have a TD from the update to use up, it defaults to the TE. For example, last year in AFFL, Jason Witten had 20 TDs vs. 4 in real life. Clearly it makes sense that he could have more here because it is a different situation that the player is "placed" in, but I think the realism is affected when he has so many more than the other receivers on the team.

Is there a way to set up the simulator to randomly select a receiver? DeSean Jackson led my team in receptions last year with 86, but had only 1 TD. Witten had 72 receptions and 20 TDs.
AFFL Arizona - General Manager
Regular Season Record - 174-66-1
Playoff Record - 13-12
AFFL Bowl Record - 0-2

2x NFC Champions - 2010, 2016
11x NFC West Champions - 2007-12, 2014-15, 2017-18, 2021
AFFL History
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

That's a good thing to check. I thought it was randomized if all TDs used up (or leaning to player with most remaining yards left) but perhaps something there that hits TEs more in those instances as your info there would suggest. It may just be in that case that Witten tended to get the TD there more because better updates than other receivers as opposed to getting him because he's a TE. If a QB going to throw a lot of TDs, somebody has to get them and maybe more than they got in reality. Might be too much this year, but also could perhaps bring in cummulative stats on the year here for instances like that to spread around more instead of those situations favoring the same guy over and over and just looking at the in-game numbers and not cummulative considerations across the season.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
larry linke

Post by larry linke »

Last year, with 30 seconds left in a game, losing by 4, 4th down and goal from the 1, I kicked a field goal and lost.

Larry
Minnesota
Royce R

Post by Royce R »

larry linke wrote:Last year, with 30 seconds left in a game, losing by 4, 4th down and goal from the 1, I kicked a field goal and lost.

Larry
Minnesota

time for a coaching change :)
AFFL - Titans GM since 2007
96 - 62 - 2 regular season
6 playoff appearances
4 division titles
2 conference titles
1 AFFL title
redsoxfan31x21

Post by redsoxfan31x21 »

Royce R wrote:
larry linke wrote:Last year, with 30 seconds left in a game, losing by 4, 4th down and goal from the 1, I kicked a field goal and lost.

Larry
Minnesota

time for a coaching change :)
very well put!!!!! ;)
Franchise Record - 47-39 (3-3 playoffs)
'10 - 12-4 - AFC West Champs - 1-1 Playoffs
'11 - 14-2 - AFC West Champs - #1 AFC seed - 1-1 Playoffs - AFC Title Loss
'12 - 11-5 - AFC Wild Card - 1-1 playoffs
'13 - 2-14
'14 - 5-11
larry linke