Sacks

RebelFan

Sacks

Post by RebelFan »

I'm just curious about how sacks are incorporated into our simulated games.
Is it fairly straightforward as in, JJ Watt has 2 sacks IRL, so has 2 in the sim. (No matter what the OL vs F7 is)
Or is their an adjustment according to OL vs. F7 scores?
I don't think it's right for Watt to get his 2 sacks if there is a substantial OL advantage across from him. Ie - 7.2 OL vs. 6.2 F7 should not allow ANY sacks.
(all fictional, just an example)

Also, has there ever been a discussion about incorporating pick-sixes into the sim?
GM - Chicago Bears - AFFL
GM - San Francisco 49ers - DFFL

"Talent Hoarder"
jacobsaces

Re: Sacks

Post by jacobsaces »

Can't really say he shouldn't get his sacks. 7.2 may be great rating but 6.2 is not bad is it really substantial? What if it was 4.2 vs 3.2 is that substantial? Overall 7.2 vs 6.2 should be a solid match up of two good lines not one dominating the other just as a 4.2 vs a 3.2 would be a lot of ugly play. Everything still gets simmed and a 7.2 va 4.2 is substantial then we could talk about should not get his sacks
Jared A

Post by Jared A »

7.2 vs. 6.2 is quite a substantial gap. I view 6 as about average... anything over 7 is elite.
RebelFan

Post by RebelFan »

1.5 is the maximum advantage, so I'd say that 1.0 difference is substantial however you frame it.
GM - Chicago Bears - AFFL
GM - San Francisco 49ers - DFFL

"Talent Hoarder"
tino38

Post by tino38 »

Yeah I am with Jared and Rebel in that a 7.2 vs 6.2 is very substantial. I also am curious on this question as well about the sacks.
BRFL Saints (31-20) (3-0)
- NFCS Champ: 23’
- NFC Champ: 23’
- SB Champ 23’
AFFL Patriots (97-82) (8-4)
-AFCE Champ: 16', 22’, 23’
-AFC Champ: 22’
-SB Champ: 22’
DFFL Jets - SB Champ 21’ & 22’
FFFL Jets - SB Champ 17’ & 18’
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

On every sim play, there's some random chance of various events such as turnover or penalty or sack, etc. For sacks, that random chance is increased depending upon the strength of the advantage in the trenches. So if your team has a great line and going up against a sim defense that's not well graded but has some sacks in their updates, there is less of a chance that they'll get those sacks with a grade disadvantage compared to if their sim d-line was much stronger than the sim o-line than their chances of getting those goes up. Lots of things factor in, including how many pass plays are called. If a ton of sacks in the updates, but the opposing offense throws very little then not much chance to get those either. It's a play-by-play thing with better odds favoring the teams with the better grades on each play to determine if a sack is happening on each pass play called. The better your grade advantage, the more likely you'll get the sacks in your update, but there's some randomness and circumstantial considerations to that also. It's something we could look further into sometime and adjust as needed ahead.

About adding pick-sixes into the mix, it's possible I think. Maybe next off-season we'll look at things we can add based upon what data we can easily grab or are already putting in. We always have interceptions completely determined by the QB, though. So even if a DB had a pick-six against a horrible QB in reality, if he faced a sim QB who had no INTs in his update we don't give him an INT just because a defensive player had a pick against a worse QB in a different game. It's all QB dependent. But if an interception was simulated based upon a QB and the opposing defense had a pick-six in their update, it's possible we could incorporate that in the future and have that INT go back the other way for a score I think.

The box scores on Yahoo, for example, have interception yards and interception TDs listed amongst their defensive stats. I don't pull those in now, but could possibly down the road next season.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office