2021 Off-Season Update

Goodell

Re: 2021 Off-Season Update

Post by Goodell »

jerrydlux wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:53 pm with trades coming available soon will COMP picks be added to our available picks soon as well?
Yeah, that'll be another part of getting trades ready. I like to have the upcoming draft order set before trades finally turned on so that teams know exactly what picks they are trading and what positions and what compensatory picks they have, etc. before dealing picks away so no confusion or misunderstandings about that.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Teams can now click to RETIRE players that are eligible. I didn't have any retirees on my own team, so I retired Drew Brees on a couple teams to test that out.

Retiring players removes their unguaranteed annual salaries, but you're still on the hook for any guaranteed signing bonus left. That gets split over 2 years by default (you can contact me if you'd like to change it to all one year if you prefer).

Players have to be made eligible for retirement by the league (if they've actually retired in the NFL), and you can submit that suggestion if we haven't made a retired player eligible from their player page. Whether you click to retire a player or not, if the league makes them eligible as NFL retirees then their grade goes to zero and of course they'd not have any game stats, so wouldn't be useful in the simulator if retired from the NFL.
jerrydlux

Post by jerrydlux »

Is the June 1st exemption just the same as it has been in the past but now limited to 2 per year?

Does the math change at all? Not sure if everything is adding up right with people splitting cap hits across two years but not able to look at free agent profiles to see what past salaries were.
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

jerrydlux wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:59 am Is the June 1st exemption just the same as it has been in the past but now limited to 2 per year?

Does the math change at all? Not sure if everything is adding up right with people splitting cap hits across two years but not able to look at free agent profiles to see what past salaries were.
I think it's always been 2 per year. To clarify that, though, it's really more like 2 transactions instead of two individual players. If multiple players were involved in a trade or cut, we don't have the system say okay which of these 4 players do you want to be split and which don't you. Felt like that level of additional complication and change wasn't super critical. If it's not working that way for 2 transactions split (I believe when I tested a split cut it did reduce my number of exemptions left, though), I can check into it further after more urgent things resolved, but it's also kind of one of those rules that we incorporated because of the NFL mirroring but it's not really something we were able to exactly replicate because of multiple players in transactions. To me, that pre-June 1st exemption may make sense to remove in the future to simplify things since we don't really use it on an individual level anyway, our league has much more trades than NFL, and their human reasons for having June 1st free agents perhaps aren't as applicable in a computer sim environment. But for now, we'll check that the split transaction exemption before June 1st is working and perhaps think more in the future how to either better incorporate it without over-complicating rules and transaction processes or if it's not such an important thing to mirror.
soonertf

Post by soonertf »

Dang it! Should have cut Vance and Vic at same time then lol. I'm going to need to learn all these tricks ;) All joking aside most years probably don't matter, but with cap tightened...it becomes huge this year.
AFFL - Dallas Cowboy's GM
Regular Season Record - 109-72
Playoff Record - 12-4
AFFL Bowl Record - 3-0

3x AFFL Champions - 2009, 2011, 2018
3x NFC Champions - 2009, 2011, 2018
6x NFC East Champions - 2007, 2009-13
Danny - BRFL Packers

Post by Danny - BRFL Packers »

This has all been great Troy - things running smooth and interface looks awesome!
Danny - BRFL Packers

2020 BRFL NFC Champions
21, 22, 23 BRFL NFC North Champ
tjbarnaba

Post by tjbarnaba »

Danny - BRFL Packers wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:06 pm This has all been great Troy - things running smooth and interface looks awesome!
Jeez why don’t you just kiss him Danny? :lol:
2023 AFFL Champ
2019 AFFL Champ
2018 CFFL Champ
2018 EFFL Champ
bpboguta1483

Post by bpboguta1483 »

jerrydlux wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:59 am Is the June 1st exemption just the same as it has been in the past but now limited to 2 per year?

I had to click a players name in the search box to get that info
bpboguta1483

Post by bpboguta1483 »

What happened to my screen if I wanted to tag a player? I signed Lindsay to a 2nd round compensation tag but I don't see the ability to tag a player to a franchise tag if I chose to do so. It was there before signing Lindsay, but gone afterwards.
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

bpboguta1483 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:30 pm What happened to my screen if I wanted to tag a player? I signed Lindsay to a 2nd round compensation tag but I don't see the ability to tag a player to a franchise tag if I chose to do so. It was there before signing Lindsay, but gone afterwards.
Once you fill out the form for those decisions, it checks a box that you've done that in the data. If you want the tag question back, I removed that designation for your team so it should ask that tag question again. Thanks.