2016 Off-Season Update

jonz82

Re: 2016 Off-Season Update

Post by jonz82 »

Hi everyone. Just signed up and put in my team preferences in the new EFFL league - saw that no one picked Washington as their #1 team (they were the only one without a #1), and I jumped at the spot.

I was excited to see there was a new league -- had seen the post on a baseball sim league that I've been a part of for over 15 years. Looking forward to the opportunity.

I know they're not the greatest of teams, but is there a specific reason or reasons why other people were avoiding putting the Washington Redskins as their first choice for the new EFFL league? They seem to have some decent young talent. I'm just happy to sneak in, and know I can build up the team from there.

I look forward to the EFFL starting up, and you better believe I'll have my "draft board" prepared by the end of this week.
EFFL Redskins
Regular Season Record - 11-5
Playoff Record - 3-1
**2016 NFC Champions**
Strategist

Post by Strategist »

Why was there never a BFFL?
DFFL - DAL 09-20: 113-63 .642 (6-5) 3X DIV Champs. 6 Playoff apps. DFFL Bowl I Champs
CFFL - NYG 10-12: 34-13-1 .708
AFFL - WAS 13-19: 53-59 .473 (5-3) '14, '15, & '17 Div, '17 AFC Champs
FFFL - PIT 16-17: 45-19 .703 (3-3) '16-18 Div, 16' AFC Champs
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Strategist wrote:Why was there never a BFFL?
I was saving that for popular football bloggers league, getting one site that covers each team involved doing an off-season their way compared to what the real team does (we would have drafted this guy instead of who the NFL team really did, and seeing how their blog choices would have played out over time compared to the team they cover), and get some of them perhaps talking up the play here.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
soonertf

Post by soonertf »

Wow a lot of new names signed up. It'll be nice if the league were all new GMs (prob not possible). How are we determining if current owners get a team? I would assume that after new gms the next dibs go to GMs that only currently have one team? Or is it just a team by team basis?
AFFL - Dallas Cowboy's GM
Regular Season Record - 109-72
Playoff Record - 12-4
AFFL Bowl Record - 3-0

3x AFFL Champions - 2009, 2011, 2018
3x NFC Champions - 2009, 2011, 2018
6x NFC East Champions - 2007, 2009-13
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

soonertf wrote:Wow a lot of new names signed up. It'll be nice if the league were all new GMs (prob not possible). How are we determining if current owners get a team? I would assume that after new gms the next dibs go to GMs that only currently have one team? Or is it just a team by team basis?
The primary focus initially will be only new GMs. After all new GMs get a spot, we'll see how many there are left that need to be filled and go from there. There may or may not also be a couple instances where an existing GM gives up their current team so their only team is in the new league and swaps a new person into an existing league if some of those make sense based upon expressed preferences. But the focus initially will be ensuring new people get teams. Once I do that, we'll see what's left and what we need to do to fill the other spots because we need a full 32 to go.

I'd love it to be 32 new people and no existing GMs with teams already, but wasn't figuring we'd quite have 32 brand new people.

The criteria for the remaining spots will largely be the same as the overall tie-breakers listed there, as well as preference to those who donated.
Strategist

Post by Strategist »

Goodell wrote:
Strategist wrote:Why was there never a BFFL?
I was saving that for popular football bloggers league, getting one site that covers each team involved doing an off-season their way compared to what the real team does (we would have drafted this guy instead of who the NFL team really did, and seeing how their blog choices would have played out over time compared to the team they cover), and get some of them perhaps talking up the play here.
Ah cool idea.
DFFL - DAL 09-20: 113-63 .642 (6-5) 3X DIV Champs. 6 Playoff apps. DFFL Bowl I Champs
CFFL - NYG 10-12: 34-13-1 .708
AFFL - WAS 13-19: 53-59 .473 (5-3) '14, '15, & '17 Div, '17 AFC Champs
FFFL - PIT 16-17: 45-19 .703 (3-3) '16-18 Div, 16' AFC Champs
Goodell

New League(s)

Post by Goodell »

With 60 people now signed up for the new league (with many new and many existing GMs), it's possible we could actually do two new leagues if there's such an overwhelming interest in openings.

My worry is long-term it's going to jack up the amount of annual replacement GMs needed, but on the positive side it's actually a lot of setup to get a new league ready and much of that effort can easily be multiplied into another copy. It's much, much easier to do two new leagues at once, for example, than one new league one year and one new league the next year because of all the initial data setup to begin a new league from scratch.

So no guarantees, but if you have any interest in a new team in a new league (and even if you have a team already) sign up here before 8/7: http://www.fangm.com/leagues.php

At the minimum, one new league will be setup next week after the 8/7 tie-breaker results with every new GM without a team getting top priority to fill any open spot before anyone with a team already. However, if not 32 brand new people, the rest of the spots will be filled by existing GMs. And if I end up deciding it's best to do 2 leagues, I'll split the 60+ interested up with mostly new GMs in one league and mostly others in the other.

Just wanted to give people a head's up if some of our existing GMs didn't sign up because of the big number of people signed up with so many new people who'd be prioritized. Thanks
Goodell

Re: New League(s)

Post by Goodell »

I've updated the leagues page for some of the GMs who have donated toward a particular team. If we do two leagues it might be one league or the other, so just because someone donated for a team wouldn't mean you wouldn't get them if available in the other new league. If you donated and I have your team preference wrong, or somehow missed the email notification, let me know and I'll fix it prior to assigning teams after this weekend.

With the tie-breaker question on Sunday, time is running out to sign up so if you know a friend interested have them sign up soon + fill out the form on the leagues page. http://www.fangm.com/leagues.php

Almost up to 70 people signed up for that so probably doing two leagues if I can, as right now not everyone will get a team with 64 new spots in two leagues. But everyone new without a team already will, as well as anyone who donated. Otherwise, it will come down to tie-breaker questions who gets remaining openings. But with 5 leagues going forward, there will be more opportunities each year for new openings more frequently.

Thanks!
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

So the NFL cancelling our tie-breaker game threw a wrench into my league assignment plans, but with around 40 new GMs without a team and 20 GMs paying for a spot (with just a couple of those overlapping), we have almost enough for two full leagues with people guaranteed a spot without having to worry about tie-breakers as much. So I'm working on finishing up a list of the team assignments for the two leagues (almost done).

For the college draft (which normally goes across 4 days), I'm thinking starting around the 20th or 27th, with some roster activity opened prior to that once I get everything set.
Crossway92

Post by Crossway92 »

Goodell wrote:For the college draft (which normally goes across 4 days), I'm thinking starting around the 20th or 27th, with some roster activity opened prior to that once I get everything set.
20th would be best for me, gonna be out of the country starting the 26th. Either way though, thanks